Menu

What resource for Geography? Cross post

I posted this question on the High School board, but would like to ask here as well.

I am needing/wanting to increase my knowledge of geography, specifically as in locations. Around the World in 180 Days is the only Geography curriculum I have seen.

Are there others you would recommend?

I always tied and tie geography with history. Unless I feel like they need more work in a certain area, like US.

I like the hollins C Hollins books, padddle to the sea we are reading for the third time. Ugh.

But my boys will go grab a map and start looking for the wolf head in the great lakes. Pretty cool.

If you do Bible incorporate it there too ( middle East).

I do alot of the geography songs by Kathy Trovel. Kids love those.

I did 2 full cycles with my big kids on wtm. It covered every aspect of the world , so nothing was missed. The big kids still remember it to this day so,...it worked! Lol

We used Draw Asia by Kristin J. Draeger this summer with great success.  We had previously done Draw the USA and Draw Europe by the same author.  My one complaint about this books is the lack of gridlines or lines of latitude and longitude.  I ended up adding those to each page for reference.  

I just have my kids work on it for 15-20 minutes a day.  They start at the beginning of the book each day, and get as far as they can.  They get faster as they learn it, so they get farther and farther each week.  When they get to the halfway point in a book, instead of a blank sheet of paper, I give them a piece of paper with the first quarter of the book predrawn.  (I drew it once, and just copy on my printer.)  They still have to label everything, but they know it by then.  When they get to three fourths of the way through, they get a page with the first half predrawn.  It is a bit of game to see how far they can get while still being neat & accurate.  :)  

The Olympics opening ceremony was SO MUCH FUN bc they knew so many of the places.  They were racing to find the countries on world map placemats as they came in.  Big fun!

I like several options:

Memoria has several geography programs for older elementary + students.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/american-and-modern-studies/geography-i

I use Evan Moor Daily Geography Series to work on age appropriate map/chart stuff for my children

http://www.evan-moor.com/c/193/social-studies

Terri Johnson's website knowledge quest has many great map options: She has a free online curriculum for studying world geography one continent at a time. She used lots of free online games for this plan. I think she calls it Global Mania. I also ordered her Map Trek, which is a book of maps from most any historical era. I found about her resources because the Knowledge Quest maps are the maps used in the Story of the World volumes that I have.

http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/Map-Trek-Outline-Maps.html

All of the above options are usually cheaper on the CBD website or Amazon. Sometimes the publishers have a better deal with ordering an entire set (the TE, the SE, quiz books, etc..)

Homeschool Buyers Coop also has many deals with various geography programs. I like to read their reviews.