Menu

What resource for Geography?

It really depends on what you are actually wanting to learn - physical geography? cultural geography? 

For learning locations, nothing beats mapping. All you need is a good atlas and some black line maps to print out.  For more of an earth science bent, I like Brenda Runkle's Wonderful World of Geography.  For cultural geography, you could start with country overviews in reference books, dig into biographies, etc.  The possibilities are endless.

For fun, there's things like Hungry Plant: What the World Eats and Material World: A Global Family Portrait. 

• Like 1

It really depends on what you are actually wanting to learn - physical geography? cultural geography? 

For learning locations, nothing beats mapping. All you need is a good atlas and some black line maps to print out.  For more of an earth science bent, I like Brenda Runkle's Wonderful World of Geography.  For cultural geography, you could start with country overviews in reference books, dig into biographies, etc.  The possibilities are endless.

For fun, there's things like Hungry Plant: What the World Eats and Material World: A Global Family Portrait. 

I really was just interested in learning locations at this point. I don't know why I didn't learn it in school, but I would like to fill the void.

• Like 1

I created my own curriculum for my kids as I couldn't find anything exciting. I really feel any curriculum / class should make a lot of use of video so you can "see" the places you are studying. There is so much available free online. And I used projects as assessment. Students retain a lot more when they are actively involved in the learning process. I now teach this in our local co op and online and I get the kids to create posters and games and e-books and videos and animations. It can be a really really cool subject to study. Oh - and don't forget google streetview! I get the kids to visit cities virtually

• Like 3

You could try Sailing Alone Around the World.  My dd11 and I read and mapped some of it last year, at the suggestion of the AO website.  As is common with their books, it was really too difficult for her - I, not being a boat person, found some of the reading challenging.  But it might be just great for a hs student.

It's an older book and the authors language and attitudes reflect that, but it is interesting in itself, and there is a real sense of an outsiders view of the people he encounters, and some of the effects that more mobility was having on people.  And lots of great geographical information.

You can also find online maps of Slocum's travels and there are YouTube videos recreating his journey as a computer graphic, as well as other information about him.

My daughter learned a ton of geography playing Sporcle.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/category/geography

Yes! I second Sporcle. That is one of the online quiz games I use in my classes. Before we studied Africa I gave them the one where you have to name all the African countries and we recorded how many they got. Then at the end of the 4 weeks I gave it to them again. It was very encouraging to see how their knowledge had improved - and that without any tests!!