Menu

Grammar Program for Remedial Work

LauraBeth475

Six Weeks to Understanding Grammar

Lori D. suggested it to me, and it is the first time grammar ever made a lick of sense to my son, who was in 7th grade when we started it.

You don't have to do it in six weeks. The author explains that a highly motivated student could do it in six weeks as a review, but someone who is learning grammar (not reviewing) is encouraged to take as long as necessary.

It is not a textbook or workbook. It is written to the parent/teacher, explaining why traditional grammar approaches can fail and giving a sequence and tips for implementing the program. Each "week" is a chapter with a narrative schedule and way to approach the teaching. You definitely have the author holding your hand as much (or as little) as you need when working through the book.

Each grammar session begins with a review of everything you have learned so far, continuing with the introduction of just one new concept, which is practiced for as long as necessary before moving on. The author provides some sample sentences to work with, but the strength of the program (imo) is that students compose their own sentences. Students do not just mark someone else's pre-written sentences. That is the key that helped my son unlock grammar.

My son has said, "I like this because it's not just jumping around all over the place, confusing and too quick. I work on things until they make sense to me."

The book is super cheap for Kindle and worth many times what I paid for it.