Menu

Reasonable accommodations for IOWA tests

My son will be doing his standardized testing next week, and I am trying to determine which accommodations will help us to obtain the most accurate results. P has been officially diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and ADHD.

My plan is to see how he does filling in bubbles, and help him with that if necessary. The front of the proctor's guide gives advice about how to repeat directions, so I will follow that. I will read him the vocabulary section, so that his knowledge of vocabulary is tested, rather than his reading ability. When he has to add or subtract 2 or 3-digit numbers that are presented in a horizontal format, I will help him line up the numbers vertically so he doesn't get tripped up by misaligned place values. If he has trouble with reading story problems I will help him with the reading, but not the setup. 

Do these sound reasonable? Thank you. 

You will probably want to give extended time.  Also, if you are reading the word problems to him, you are probably going to want to read the entire test to him (except the reading test).  Also, note that the vocabulary portion of the ITBS is actually testing *reading* vocabulary--the results are included in the reading total.  So you really shouldn't be reading that aloud to him.  I do think that it is probably permissible to read the questions and answers aloud for the reading comprehension section (just not the passages) as well as the *answers only* for the vocabulary portion.

Agree with EKS, good suggestions.  Definitely give extra time and possibly short breaks to walk around.  

FWIW, when the kids were still in school the school had special breaks for all the kids where they walked around, played board/fast card games and ate healthy snacks.  There was a mini-party at the end, too.  It helped keep them focused and their spirits up.

Thank you for your replies. I should have read the entire guide before I posted--it turns out that at P's level, the math story problems are read aloud anyway. Most of the sections are untimed. The vocab section consists of line drawings with four word choices to best describe the drawing, so I'm comfortable reading him the choices. Our usual schedule is to alternate doing school subjects with outside play, games, art, etc, so we'll continue with that. The guide suggests two short testing sessions per day, so it won't be onerous. I think that parts of it will even be enjoyable to him. I was rolling my eyes at some of the social studies pictures, and can't wait for the sarcastic remarks he comes up with.  :laugh: