Menu

New puppy and allergies

sixpence1978

Dog experts...experiences please.

We just adopted a now 9 week old german shepherd/lab mix puppy from our local shelter.  We previously had a german shepherd/lab mix dog for 14 years before crossing over the rainbow bridge last October.

We are all really enjoying and loving our new puppy even though he is a lot of work.  We used to have some minor reactions to our old dog, but nothing that we couldn't deal with.  But with the new puppy, our allergies are something else.  My DS is wheezing and has itchy eyes, my DD is super congested and her eczema is flaring up.  I'm the worst off because I'm doing most of the training.  My eyes are itchy, I'm sneezing constantly, and anyplace he mouths me or rubs against me I'm getting red skin and hives.  My hands won't stop itching.  My DH is mostly okay, except for itchy hands as well.

Usually any dog allergies I've had in the past will taper off within the first week, but no such luck.  They just seem to be getting worse each day.  I even gave him a bath yesterday hoping that would help.

Are we having more issues because he is a puppy and therefore more mouthy?  Do you think we will eventually get used to him?  Or is it more logical to return him before we all bond too much?  I really don't like the idea of returning him to the shelter during such an impressionable age, but I also don't know how long to give it.  Being a young puppy, he would be adopted very quickly, but I would still feel awful.  Help please.

I think the best thing would be to give the puppy back. I don't think things will get better for you & it's possible they might get worse.  Allergens seem quite frequently to trigger increasingly bigger reactions & given that it's not just one person, odds are against all of you improving and getting to a tolerable base level. Your children might outgrow their allergy but you're unlikely to. 

The amount that a certain dog triggers you does vary but I wouldn't count on being ok with any dog. This article suggests you can build up a tolerance - which probably happened with your previous dog but I gather the problem sometimes is that an abscence from the trigger can cause a much bigger reaction when you're exposed to it again. http://www.familyallergy.com/Blog/0/Any-Category/5/Allergy-Shots-Help-with-Pet-Allergies

If you're determined to have dogs, I'd give this guy back, do allergy shots and after some time try fostering. 

• Like 2