Menu

Teaching Math Word Problems

EngOZ

I have my kids mark (underline, circle, highlight) the numbers in the problem, then find/mark the words that tell them what to do with those numbers.  From there, we transition it into a formula and then solve.  Mine are 1st and 3rd grade.  Not sure if it will get more complicated as we go, but it works for now. 

Edited by Ahodgson923

I think the strategy that works depends on the kid and what's holding them up. If it's the language/words, the method above is great and I think it's helpful to use a "key words" chart (you can Google this if you don't have one already-- key words for word problems-- because a lot of others have done the work for you).

I like drawing a picture, too, but not every kid needs this. But as with reading comprehension, this is one occasion when I encourage kids to mark up the text, feeling free to cross out irrelevant information and circle the key words and put the relevant operation signs next to them.

One thing that I've found really seems to help is just to include lots of "word problems" in our daily life-- which is to say real, relevant math, not just the somewhat contrived examples I often find in textbooks, and to try to include more math words in my daily vocabulary so the "translation" of word problems will become second nature. ("I'd appreciate it if you could decrease your whining, please" or "Oh, there are only six cookies left? Let's save two for Dad and split the difference.")

• Like 1

I don't know if there's any particular "right" way, other than to pay attention to meaning. The meaning of the words, the meaning of the story situation in the word problem, and the meaning of the numbers --- what they are doing in the story.

Here are some ideas from my blog that might help:

Be wary of the keyword strategy. Some keywords are helpful, especially the ones that are actual math words like area or product. But even those can be used in ways that fool an impatient child who isn't paying attention to meaning.

For instance, the following puzzle contains two key words:

• "What shall we add to 7 to obtain 9 as the sum?"

If your children are trained to look for key words, they may be tricked into answering "16."

Keywords work best with simplistic, textbooky problems that are meant to be cranked through with little thought. They're no help at all in real life. But paying attention to the meaning of the situation, and the meaning of the numbers within that situation, and learning to use what you know to figure out what you don't know --- those are important life skills for us all.

• Like 2

Is there a right way to go about teaching math word problems? Both of my kids 6 year old dd & 10dd can solve math formulas, but find word problems challenging.

I would expect a 6yo to find word problems challenging. :-)

Rod and Staff's math series does a good job of teaching word problems.