Menu

how to grade a literature class?

Hi, all - former high school English teacher here, considering teaching a home school high school lit class composed of novel discussion (Adam Andrews style) and composition (I teach kids how to write papers, they write them, I grade them, according to a pre-determined evaluation sheet).

I would like the class to be thorough but also enjoyable; it would be a live class, with group discussion.

How in the world would I grade something like that? (When I was a high school teacher, I would answer this question with canned comprehension quizzes, vocab activities, and objective tests; my consideration of literature and actually all of education has shifted since home schooling my own kids, but - I'm having a hard time translating that shift into grades for high school. My own kids are not in high school yet.)

Appreciate any help or BTDT - I'm optimistic, but would like to have answers before enrolling kids, kwim?

I grade based on:

Unit assignments--These are usually marking the text with elements such as symbolism or major themes of the book. Their book must be marked before discussion. Edited to add: I check that the books are marked, but I don't go through and grade the marking. I expect students will share some of their insights and elements they noticed in our discussion.

Occasional quizzes--Usually if I sense some slacking in their reading. I make them up on the spot, flipping through the text.

Discussion--I want everyone to say something and contribute. I understand that some will more than others. As long as everyone appears to be alert and part of things, they get full credit for this.

Papers--Short, easy ones in response to a unit + one big literary analysis per semester.

I do write a final exam composed of literary terms, major themes, and an essay of some sort. However, if you don't want to write a test, just consider the big literary analysis paper to be their final exam.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2

For my high school Lit & Comp co-op classes, I've been running with a combo of class participation/discussion and papers (weekly short 1-3 paragraph reader responses, and one longer literary analysis essay per semester). I strongly encourage annotating while reading, but don't require/grade it. No quizzes or exams.

• Like 2

^ Oh, you ladies are so helpful! So - do most of your kids do most of the work, on time, and generally receive excellent marks?

In a co-op situation it's all over the map. Many do all that is required on time and receive excellent marks. There are always some who turn things in whenever they get to it. If they talk to me ahead of time, I don't make a big deal about an extension. If not, I mark the late assignment down.

In my literature classes, the lowest grade I have given is B. Most of my students participate and try hard.

• Like 2

So - do most of your kids do most of the work, on time, and generally receive excellent marks?

Yes, most of the work is done on time -- but I really make sure they know I am coming alongside them and in it for the duration, so if they run in to any snags to email asap and we can make adjustments and I can mentor. So, really no excuses for late work.

As far as excellent marks… My students always seem to fall on a very wide "bell curve" of ability. I take each student where they are starting from and work to help them progress. As long as they are willing to revise and to keep trying and to give me a good effort, like Harriet Vane, I don't give final versions of papers below a B.

• Like 2

Yes, most of the work is done on time -- but I really make sure they know I am coming alongside them and in it for the duration, so if they run in to any snags to email asap and we can make adjustments and I can mentor. So, really no excuses for late work.

As far as excellent marks… My students always seem to fall on a very wide "bell curve" of ability. I take each student where they are starting from and work to help them progress. As long as they are willing to revise and to keep trying and to give me a good effort, like Harriet Vane, I don't give final versions of papers below a B.

Lori--There are times I wonder if we were twins separated at birth. So often we seem to approach teaching and literature similarly. :)

• Like 1

Parents want a grade to help with GPA. 

I don't think that conflicts with what I suggested. I would much rather have a written evaluation of my student's performance or a chance to discuss it with the instructor, and then assign a grade if I choose, than have an instructor make up assignments so s/he can give a grade.

If a teacher's beliefs and philosophies about education don't lend themselves to gradable assessments, state that up front and be ok with it. Don't try to bend to fit the standard school mold if you've moved beyond that.

• Like 2

Lori--There are times I wonder if we were twins separated at birth. So often we seem to approach teaching and literature similarly. :)

Except, from all of your responses in the Lit. threads, I'm convinced you're the more educated, more widely-read twin. :laugh:  As I recall, you have a degree in Literature…? I really am just a Literature enthusiast/amateur. ;)

• Like 1

Thank you, all, for the good thoughts here - ideas to chew on, for sure. I feel like home school kids EXPECT so much more than my traditionally-schooled kids - they don't want to "finish an assignment," they want to KNOW and UNDERSTAND. So very refreshing to a teacher!

My appreciation for these thoughts - thank you!

• Like 1

Thank you, all, for the good thoughts here - ideas to chew on, for sure. I feel like home school kids EXPECT so much more than my traditionally-schooled kids - they don't want to "finish an assignment," they want to KNOW and UNDERSTAND. So very refreshing to a teacher!

I know! I feel like the luckiest teacher I know. I totally get to pick my book list; I don't have to do any meaningless bureaucracy, and best of all, my students are always the BEST! They are awesome when they get rolling with discussion, they are kind and very funny, and super smart -- and I repeatedly have parents tell me "s/he will write for you, but won't for me," so no real issues about assignments. Really, I'm the one getting all the benefit of these co-op classes -- I actually feel a small level of guilt that parents are paying me to run these classes.  :laugh:

• Like 2

I know! I feel like the luckiest teacher I know. I totally get to pick my book list; I don't have to do any meaningless bureaucracy, and best of all, my students are always the BEST! They are awesome when they get rolling with discussion, they are kind and very funny, and super smart -- and I repeatedly have parents tell me "s/he will write for you, but won't for me," so no real issues about assignments. Really, I'm the one getting all the benefit of these co-op classes -- I actually feel a small level of guilt that parents are paying me to run these classes.  :laugh:

I do not feel any guilt for getting paid to run co-op classes. 

On the contrary, I really wish the homeschooling world could recognize the hours I put in and the quality and the fact that I make less per hour than my dd does serving fast food. I do it because I'd much rather teach than serve fast food. But I do wish I could get paid just a little more. 

• Like 2

I do not feel any guilt for getting paid to run co-op classes. 

On the contrary, I really wish the homeschooling world could recognize the hours I put in and the quality and the fact that I make less per hour than my dd does serving fast food. I do it because I'd much rather teach than serve fast food. But I do wish I could get paid just a little more. 

Wish I could like this multiple times!! :) This will have to substitute:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

• Like 1