Menu

penicillin and biology labs?

My eldest will be taking high school biology this coming school year, and I am currently shopping around for biology lab materials.  I found a kit that I like the sounds of (I have already ordered the book it accompanies -- book is on its way), but the kit includes penicillin (penicillin G potassium powder, replacing the amoxicillin tablets the kit used to contain).

My kids are allergic to amoxicillin and we have avoided penicillins in general as a result.  To double-check I called our pediatrician's office to inquire specifically about penicillin G potassium powder, and they returned my call to recommend that we avoid using it.  That's easy enough, since we can simply not do those particular labs.  However, I would still be stuck with disposing of the penicillin responsibly.

I have emailed the company asking if it is possible to order the kit but have the penicillin left out entirely.  I'm awaiting their response -- I only emailed them this morning.

Can anyone out there advise me on how to responsibly dispose of the penicillin if I buy this kit and can't have this item removed?

Anybody got any recommendations on high school biology lab kits/material suppliers in general?

Thanks!

For penicillin disposal, check the pharmacies like Target, CVS, Walgreens. Some would accept even if your pencillin wasn't from them. I have penicillin allergy but only if ingest.

My kids are using the labpaq BK-03 and like it so far. We aren't doing for high school credit so I don't know which bio it would correspond with. We have the doorstopper size Campbell bio book for my kids to use as reference.