Menu

Algebra Help! (Added Question About Lial)

Please help me pick an algebra program for my seventh grade daughter.  I went to our local home school convention this morning and was not enamored with any of my options.  Ideally, I would like a program written to the student.  Both my husband and I are mathematically inclined so I do not need (or even want) DVDs.  The other caveat is that I need to order something in the next 24 hours so it needs to be readily available.

For the record, Saxon does not work for our family. 

Thank you!

ETA - Does the anyone know if there is a sample of Lial's Introductory Algebra?  Also, what else would I need beside the student book?  Aside from the type pf binding, is there a difference between the paperback and hardcover versions?  I don't need a solution manual, but an answer key is an absolute must to assist in grading.

Edited by kagmypts

Do you have a link to what you are using?  Is it published by Prentice Hall?

ETA - Is it this set minus the MP extras?

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science/algebra/

Definitely not the MP link.  

This is the textbook I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Foerster-Algebra-Classics-PRENTICE-HALL/dp/0131657089

I have used this textbook with 6 of my kids so far.  Solid textbook with excellent word problems.  Foerster is the series I used to prepare my chemE ds for college.  I used Foerster through alg 2 with my math and physics majoring ds.  (He switched to AoPS after alg 2.)  (All of my older kids have used Foerster.  The others just aren't STEM majors. :) )

HTH

Definitely not the MP link.  

This is the textbook I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Foerster-Algebra-Classics-PRENTICE-HALL/dp/0131657089

I have used this textbook with 6 of my kids so far.  Solid textbook with excellent word problems.  Foerster is the series I used to prepare my chemE ds for college.  I used Foerster through alg 2 with my math and physics majoring ds.  (He switched to AoPS after alg 2.)  (All of my older kids have used Foerster.  The others just aren't STEM majors. :) )

HTH

Thank you. What else do you need beside the student book?  Are there any corresponding texts, answer keys (I am not worried about a solution's manual), et al?  

If you don't need a solutions manual, you could get the TE b/c it contains answers to all of the questions.  I only use SM for grading.  Do not use the TE for assigning problems, b/c the # of days does not work out to a school yr.  (The textbook contains the answers to the odds.)

FWIW, I usually have my kids do the odds with the exception of the word problems. I have my kids do all of the word problems. 

I don't use anything else.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2