Menu

Partial Enrolled HS'er to FT High Schooler to USNA or ROTC

My daughter will be a full-time high school student this year as a junior. Thus far, she has been partially enrolled with first two classes (math and science), then four classes at the high school (math, science, APUSH, Spanish II). The high school has asked me to create a transcript for her (which I did). Interestingly they've asked for final exams in the classes that are not on the ACT (really only English). She did really well on the ACT, and they're willing to consider that as proof that she aced her 'final exam.'

My question is this: She is looking at either the Naval Academy or an ROTC scholarship. Since she will graduate from the high school, will whatever I give them now become part of her final transcript? Or will it just be whatever the school decides to do to create a final transcript? This is unchartered territory for the school and us, and we're both winging it. We didn't do final exams in all classes (health, world religions, etc) so I'm trying to simplify--esp. since it's been a couple of years ago.

Thanks,

Laura

• Like 1

As far as what goes on the final transcript, I think you need to talk to the school about what credits she'll be receiving.  Each time I changed high schools, certain things were "dropped" from my transcript.  When I applied to colleges, I did not send 3 high school transcripts.  I sent one.  It was complied by the final school I was enrolled (which happened to be a home school distance learning program). I want to say that courses taken elsewhere were marked in some way with a notation, and then the footnote clarified they were taken elsewhere.  If they are asking for a transcript from you, my guess would be that they are planning to use that and include your courses and grades as part of her whole transcript (treat her like a transfer).  So, your situation is fairly unique -- and you need to talk to the Admins at your dd's high school about how they are handling her homeschool credits and grades (my grades were always "altered" to fit the new school's policy WRT weighting.  Since the last school I attended did not have honors or AP, I lost my weighted grades from the prior two schools, as well as the honors/AP designations :p).  

• Like 2

My daughter will be a full-time high school student this year as a junior. Thus far, she has been partially enrolled with first two classes (math and science), then four classes at the high school (math, science, APUSH, Spanish II). The high school has asked me to create a transcript for her (which I did). Interestingly they've asked for final exams in the classes that are not on the ACT (really only English). She did really well on the ACT, and they're willing to consider that as proof that she aced her 'final exam.'

My question is this: She is looking at either the Naval Academy or an ROTC scholarship. Since she will graduate from the high school, will whatever I give them now become part of her final transcript? Or will it just be whatever the school decides to do to create a final transcript? This is unchartered territory for the school and us, and we're both winging it. We didn't do final exams in all classes (health, world religions, etc) so I'm trying to simplify--esp. since it's been a couple of years ago.

Thanks,

Laura

My son applied to Navy ROTC and USNA last year.  

I think the most significant question is if the school she attends will graduate her or not.  This will vary from school to school and state to state.  It would not be unusual for a student to transfer from one high school to another.  In most cases, they would have credits transferred to the new school, which would issue their diploma and transcript.  (I attended three different schools for grades 9-12.  My school issued a single transcript on their form, but also included copies of the transcripts from my previous schools.  This was way back in the 1980s.)  Only the school she is attending can really answer the question of if her homeschool work will appear on their transcript or not.    

On the Common App, there was a place to indicate other schools the student had attended.  I don't know if it is possible in that system to indicate both homeschool and a brick and mortar school.

The way I remember the NROTC and USNA app working is that the student puts in an email address for their counselor.  The counselor then gets an automated invitation to submit a recommendation.  (For USNA, this email isn't triggered until the student completes her Candidate Activities Record, because the counselor also verifies that submission.)  USNA also provided an address to send the transcript to.  

I don't have a standard cover letter for NROTC, so I think that the recommendation and transcript were both submitted online for that program.

USNA asks for recommendations specifically from junior year English and math teachers.  NROTC asked for a couple recommendations.  DS used his CC math teacher and his online Latin teacher.  

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

She should be medically qualified. We've been tracking this for a while. Only seasonal alllergies that we know of. Slight chance of a sport. But she's not interested in that at the Academy. She went to their volleyball camp last year and could possibly play, but she'd rather do that as club than intercollegiate. She will graduate from the high school and has taken both ACT and SAT and will take one more time before applying. She will apply to summer seminar.

Margaret, I think your answer that they'll want both homeschool and high school even though she'll graduate from the high school is the answer I'm looking for. I've also been following your discussion on here for years re your dc's voyage and find it particularly intriguing since your one dc turned down an academy for ROTC. Mine might do likewise. As we move towards this goal, would it be ok to check in with you on some questions?

Lisa, she too was hurt by her 'transfer.' The high school is not counting her AP Latin from Lukeion her freshman year b/c it wasn't 'preapproved.' This hurts her in the class ranking and GPA.

Sebastian, thanks for the info re letters of rec. She had a great relationship with her math teacher for the past two years. This will help her to know that she shouldn't depend on that teacher.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks everyone.

She should be medically qualified. We've been tracking this for a while. Only seasonal alllergies that we know of. Slight chance of a sport. But she's not interested in that at the Academy. She went to their volleyball camp last year and could possibly play, but she'd rather do that as club than intercollegiate. She will graduate from the high school and has taken both ACT and SAT and will take one more time before applying. She will apply to summer seminar.

Margaret, I think your answer that they'll want both homeschool and high school even though she'll graduate from the high school is the answer I'm looking for. I've also been following your discussion on here for years re your dc's voyage and find it particularly intriguing since your one dc turned down an academy for ROTC. Mine might do likewise. As we move towards this goal, would it be ok to check in with you on some questions?

Lisa, she too was hurt by her 'transfer.' The high school is not counting her AP Latin from Lukeion her freshman year b/c it wasn't 'preapproved.' This hurts her in the class ranking and GPA.

Sebastian, thanks for the info re letters of rec. She had a great relationship with her math teacher for the past two years. This will help her to know that she shouldn't depend on that teacher.

I appreciate everyone's help.

The math teacher may still provide a good recommendation for ROTC applications, nominations packages and to the civilian schools where ROTC scholarships might be applied.

Margaret, hopefully with all your experience this time might be a breeze ;). I'm grateful because you're experience will be recent and maybe I can glean something fresh and new from you. One of my dd's friends from her volleyball team is a plebe at USNA right now. She hasn't heard from her yet, but hopefully she'll be a good mentor for my dd if she goes there. Until recently she was leaning towards ROTC, but she's in Sea Cadets and just spent a couple of weeks at Sub School and met some academy grads and it sparked her interest again. She's not STEM although she'll have those classes. She's interested in languages. She's at a linguistics camp this week and studied Russian and Spanish last year (and will again). She's interested in the Marine Corps option and hopefully that will help. She still prefers the flexibility of ROTC.

Sebastian, thanks. We'll keep her math teacher in the loop. She helped my dd's friend get into USNA too.

Susie, I think that was my major concern. I have a couple of weeks to write the transcript for the school and wanted to know if my portion would be included in the info they're sending on, or if I could attach it to their info (and have more time later to improve it).

Laura