Menu

Help me schedule W&R and TC this year

lgliser

I decided not to do WWE 4 for 4th grade this fall.  Instead I loved the sound of Treasured Conversations but I also wanted to start Writing & Rhetoric Fables.  I could use some help scheduling it though.  Oh and the kids do a co op on Tuesdays so we only have a 4 day week.

I think most people start Fables in 3rd grade so I already feel "behind" on that.  Is it possible at all to zoom through it in half a year and then do Narrative this year as well?  

Would you do TC and W&R all together?  Or would you do TC the first semester and W&R the 2nd?  

Oh and we are doing FLL 4 so I'm thinking about skipping the grammar part of TC.... 

Thanks for any help.  Both TC and W&R are very unfamiliar to me so I'm not even really sure what to ask.  I do need to sit down and really look through them.  But even if I do, sometimes it's hard to tell how long they'll take until we just do it and see how the kids do with it.

• Like 1

After starting Fable with a third grader and having to slow her up because it was getting too difficult for her age, I actually think 4th grade is a good age to start the program so I wouldn't say you are behind at all.

I'm also using Treasured Conversations and W&R with my 4th grader this year as well. Right now my plan is this.

Use Part 1 of TC while doing Fable.

W and R Narrative I

TC Parts 2 and 3 (5th grade or during our month long summer break before 5th grade)

W and R Narrative II (5th grade)

I don't use TC, but here's how I do W&R:

Day 1: do the reading passage and the narration

Day 2: reread the passage and do the discussion and Go Deeper section

Day 3: do the writing time section

Day 4: do whatever longer writing assignment is at the end of the lesson

I only required a revised and final draft on the final writing assignment in each level. I considered the other writing assignments to be exercises. I also skipped most of the speaking sections.

Fable is for 3rd and 4th grade, so you are not behind. All of the W&R books are one semester programs so it would be easy enough to do both Fable and Narrative 1 in a year. I also have plenty of time to work in other language arts work.

Hope that helps!

Use Part 1 of TC while doing Fable.

W and R Narrative I

TC Parts 2 and 3 (5th grade or during our month long summer break before 5th grade)

Oh!  I didn't think to stretch TC into 2 years.  I like that idea.  

Day 1: do the reading passage and the narration 

Day 2: reread the passage and do the discussion and Go Deeper section

Day 3: do the writing time section

Day 4: do whatever longer writing assignment is at the end of the lesson

I only required a revised and final draft on the final writing assignment in each level. I considered the other writing assignments to be exercises. I also skipped most of the speaking sections. 

Very helpful - thank you!  I love seeing how others do it!

I'm not familiar with TC, but I did start W&R with a 4th grader. Here's how:

Fall Semester: W&R 1 - Fable

Spring Semester: W&R 2 - Narrative 1

We do a 3-day school week with block scheduling. Day 4 is a make-up and field trip day. Day 5 is co-op.

Day 1: 30-40 minutes (teacher-intensive; we did it orally)

I read the passage aloud, which she then narrated.

She re-read the passage aloud, and we discussed.

We did the Go Deeper section.

We started the Writing Time section, steps #1-3, sometimes #4.

Day 2: 20-30 minutes (independent work, mostly)

She finished the Writing Time section, steps #4+.

We reviewed her rough draft together.

She re-wrote or typed her final draft.

She bribed a brother into dramatizing her final draft for the family.

Day 3: (as needed) - a few lessons were more challenging for her, so Day 2 was all about the rough draft and we used Day 3 for final drafting.