Menu

6th Grade Spelling- after A&P

BusyMom5

My 6th grader is saying her spelling is too easy and babyish.  We have been doing Apples and Pears, and are almost finished w/ book C.  I am debating book D or switching to something else.  A&P has been wonderful for her, I can see a LOT of improvement in her writing, but there are still several misspelled words- usually close but not exact.  When I correct them, she says she KNOWS, she just wasn't paying attention.  I think more work on adding endings to words would be good, as would possibly something with commonly misspelled words.  Books that use rules like LOE and AAS would not work for this child- too many rules!  For adding endings, I ended up making a flow chart for her to follow last year, and that made a lot of difference.  I like A&P has dictation, a slight bit of grammar in it (we are not using a real grammar program this year either).  Visual is good, repetition is good.  I don't know if I am looking for spelling, grammar, or something else?  Our LA consist of Mosdos, A&P (2 weeks left in this book), Grammar Fix It! and Wordly Wise. 

When you correct her spelling--in any subject--you could deduct points. She *needs* to pay attention.

Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff) is pretty good. The spelling words are not always difficult, but the activities...those are challenging. Sixth through eighth grade are hardback, not workbooks, requiring the children to write on actual paper, which alone is challenging, lol. And it isn't expensive, so you can buy it and try it out, and if y'all don't like it, you haven't lost much.