Menu

Starting out with Wordly Wise, or something else?

I am interested in adding in a vocabulary program for my third and fourth graders -- preferably to do together in not a lot of time, or else entirely as independent work (with books, not online).  They do very well in this area, as both read quite a bit and have excellent language abilities.  I just want to give them some more challenging words to expand their vocabularies and help them understand the more complex books they are reading.

It looks like Wordly Wise is popular, but I was concerned about how many books there are for such a small number of words.  Does it take a long time to do?  What do I need to buy, and how do I figure out where to place them?  Is there anything else that is better.

My oldest did wordly wise 3rd grade book because the public charter supplied it as part of 3rd grade LA. It was far too easy for a bookworm. They have free online quizzes so you can check out the difficulty level.

http://www.wordlywise3000.com/#continue

The same charter switch to vocabulary workshop for 4th grade LA and up. It was still easy but my kids find it less boring.

My kids LA was subject accelerated in the charter so they used the books ahead of grade level.

I would look at Caesar's English and just go slower since your kids are strong in vocabulary already. It would complement your Latin studies too.

• Like 1

Thank you.  Yes, my concern is that Wordly Wise is a bit too easy -- at least if used at grade level.  It seemed like a lot of busywork for just a few vocabulary words.  Maybe I need something more pared down.  I can check out Caesar's English and Vocabulary Workshop.  I had not heard of them.

I'd worry about using WW on grade level if they have good vocabularies. It is very easy to implement but I found the original (not 3000 series) to be much more challenging. The words aren't defined like in the 3000 series but I just have my kids look them up in an online dictionary and write down the definitions in a notebook along with an example sentence. The different sections seem similar to standardized testing I've seen like 4-5 sentences using a vocab word and pick which one uses it wrong either from a grammatical or word choice standpoint. The original also has a massive crossword puzzle reviewing the past 5? sections' words. The original does not have the reading comp & questions section at the end like the 3000 does though (if that matters to you).

Hasn't been mentioned but VfCR is also not too challenging on grade level so if you're considering that one I'd bump it up a grade or 2. That one is a pretty simple format and easy to do independently though.