Menu

Going to our first college visit tomorrow

I'm taking ds to Richmond to VCU tomorrow for an Open House. It will give us some time together in the car, and that will be nice, since we are kind of disconnected lately. Even tho we are homeschooling for this last semester of his sr year, he's doing most of his work independently, because I'm working and exhausted. I've given him a schedule for most work, but I'm behind, and I think he's frustrated because we just don't get his stuff done.

Anyway, any of you gone on visits? Is there anything I should know? It's just 1.5 hrs away, and we'll be back in the afternoon.

Will you get to tour the campus as well? Dorm layout is big on my list these days :) We toured SMU today and I really liked the layout of their dorms - most were suite style - 2 beds in each room with a bathroom in between. We've also learned to ask whether the school has any requirements of homeschoolers that are different from other students. I would also get somebody's email or phone number - the admission counselor, tour guide, etc. - in case you have other questions.

Enjoy your day! I love college visits - just one aspect of my new role as guidance counselor that I'm enjoying ;)

Hello Chris,

I hope that you and your son will have a good visit and will feel reconnected after the experience.

My teen and I have been on a couple of visits to colleges lately (one in the summer, a second visit more recently to a college in session, and she's also taken a solo trip and spent an overnight at a nearby college).

Advice? Hmm, spend some time on the campus after you've done all the scheduled events. Walk around and look at bulletin boards, check out the textbooks in the bookstore, stroll around the library, sit in the cafe/dining room and see if you can chat with current students, and pick up any college newspapers/publications that you see around to take home and look at later.

A website that I like that you might find of interest (not geared to homeschoolers but lots of good advice, etc.) is this blog:

Admissions Advice: Helping Students and Parents Make Smart College Choices

and the discussion board hosted by the blogger above:

Admissions Advice discussion board.

Enjoy your visit!

Regards,

Kareni

It went so well! I think I've posted about it in the college visit thread on the hs board.

Now we have to figure out how to get the Spanish requirement in. I complained to the Dean's office about the teacher ds had--nothing formal, but I will write a letter. He dropped the class today. I know it's a big relief to him.

He is doing really well in psychology. Hope he can get into VCU!