Menu

Topics & Concepts to teach 7 year old

Earthmerlin

Howdy. I'd like some ideas on non-fiction topics & concepts I can teach my 7 year old as enrichment (outside of the 3R's curricuum). I usually pull from her interests, calendar events, extend information from field trips, etc. but I've noticed she's recently become intensely curious & wants to know WHY about nearly everything. This is great because it opens up lots of family discussion & research. This may seem a silly question to ask others but I'd like a laundry list from which to refer (that are of global appeal to this age set) so I can amass library books & materials on a wide range of topics to refresh things when needed. Things like bioluminocity, DaVinci, world currency & snails are examples of recent topics we've explored. What interests your curious 7 year old?

Why not take her to the library where you can both pick whatever looks good off the shelf? There is a time and place for judging a book by its cover. :p

My dd is 9 now, but topics over interest over the past months have been handicrafts, bee keeping, politics, reading chocolate cookbooks and re-reading Winnie the Pooh.

Kids are weird. It could be anything, couldn't it?

Have a look at Coursera too. There are some courses that are suitable for little kids to follow along with. Dd is watching one on chickens at the moment and has enjoyed previous Dinosaur 101 and Throwing Things Out of Windows type physics vids.

I agree with turning her loose in the library. My kids know where the nonfiction section is, and I have them pick books from that section on whatever topic they want. They sometimes pick strange things, but that's ok! They start reading as soon as we get to the van. :)

I have one that questions and questions and questions... It really hasn't stopped, and he's 9.5. :) I'm thankful for Google!

• Like 1

Why not take her to the library where you can both pick whatever looks good off the shelf? There is a time and place for judging a book by its cover. :p

My dd is 9 now, but topics over interest over the past months have been handicrafts, bee keeping, politics, reading chocolate cookbooks and re-reading Winnie the Pooh.

Kids are weird. It could be anything, couldn't it?

Have a look at Coursera too. There are some courses that are suitable for little kids to follow along with. Dd is watching one on chickens at the moment and has enjoyed previous Dinosaur 101 and Throwing Things Out of Windows type physics vids.

Cool, good ideas. What's 'Coursera' though? Is it a DVD series or online or what? I'm curious....

I agree with turning her loose in the library. My kids know where the nonfiction section is, and I have them pick books from that section on whatever topic they want. They sometimes pick strange things, but that's ok! They start reading as soon as we get to the van. :)

I have one that questions and questions and questions... It really hasn't stopped, and he's 9.5. :) I'm thankful for Google!

Yup, we have started the self-selection of library books. It's funny because she oftentimes gravitates towards already read titles--hee hee! But you're right, her picks have led to going down some interesting rabbit holes. I guess I'm looking for topics she wouldn't necessarily think of herself (or that wouldn't be prominently displayed on a book cover)--things that'd blow a (nearly) 7 year old's mind. Just ideas to further expand her horizons., know what I mean? Hmmm.... Edited by Earthmerlin

My now 8 year old has always just loved people and their stories, so we do a TON of little mini-studies on different people, which leads to a ton of questions of surrounding events and historical issues (ie Abraham Lincoln's life led to a ton of books about the Civil War). We draw mainly from American history, but also athletes (with olympics coming up that could be fun), world leaders, religious leaders, etc.  

Enjoy!!

• Like 1