Menu

Reading frustrations

My 10yo was TERRIBLE to teach to read. He never got phonics and didn't learn to read until I started teaching him sight words. He still struggles, but no matter how much "phonics" work I do with him, it doesn't change. He cannot write more than basic, simple sentences and struggles even with that.

My 7yo (8 in March) has historically had delays due to Failure to Thrive as an infant/toddler. He knows his letter sounds, but cannot string them into words. I thought he was getting it, but it turns out he was memorizing the words, not applying the phonics rules (which he knows and can recite, but not apply!) His phonemic awareness is okay - he can generally tell you beginning sound and ending sound, but not middle sound. He cannot sound out words - he will tell me the individual sounds, but blending is just not possible!

I am just frustrated. They hate schoolwork and they are very behind the ps. I don't know what to do with them. Add in my 6yo (who doesn't know any of his letters OR sounds) and I am just done. Why is this so hard for them? Why can't I teach them to read well? I was reading long before I ever went to school.

Any ideas?

Time is short for me now but here are some WONDERFUL resources:

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/3RsPlusRead.html These books are the best I have found for teacing reading. Click on the UK link to the right and find out even more about the program. My progress with my kids is highlighted (under Ottakee I think) but I have no financial interest in this at all. I just have seen the progress kids make with the I See Sam books. They have a email list for even more wonderful free help. Both of your boys could use this program if they are reading below a solid mid 3rd grade level.

http://www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk/ Apples and Pears is TOPS for teaching spelling to kids who struggle. It is a tad pricey but still way cheaper than any tutoring would be. It is very easy to use and the skills transfer to other subjects.

[

Sounds like there's something more going on.......I'd quickly investigate dyslexia. _Overcoming Dyselxia_ by Sally Shaywitz is phenominal.

I was going through with my (then) nearly 9 yo.

She'd know a word on on page, but not the next. she'd make the oddest errors like 'milk' for 'like' or some other totally random thing. she'd add sounds or letters randomly (still does), but we're working on it systematically. hour a day of explicit direct instruction multi sensory phonics (wilson reading) and 30 min/day of fluency practice.

:)

K

My 10yo was TERRIBLE to teach to read. He never got phonics and didn't learn to read until I started teaching him sight words. He still struggles, but no matter how much "phonics" work I do with him, it doesn't change. He cannot write more than basic, simple sentences and struggles even with that.

My 7yo (8 in March) has historically had delays due to Failure to Thrive as an infant/toddler. He knows his letter sounds, but cannot string them into words. I thought he was getting it, but it turns out he was memorizing the words, not applying the phonics rules (which he knows and can recite, but not apply!) His phonemic awareness is okay - he can generally tell you beginning sound and ending sound, but not middle sound. He cannot sound out words - he will tell me the individual sounds, but blending is just not possible!

I am just frustrated. They hate schoolwork and they are very behind the ps. I don't know what to do with them. Add in my 6yo (who doesn't know any of his letters OR sounds) and I am just done. Why is this so hard for them? Why can't I teach them to read well? I was reading long before I ever went to school.

Any ideas?

My ds is slightly dyslexic. He's never been diagnosed, but we are sure that is the issue. He never mastered phonics either and reads just below grade level.

We are using the REWARDS program for him this year. We are only on lesson 7 put it has made a huge difference in his ability to decode words. If you do a search for it here you can see some of the reviews here.

You can sometimes find it used on this board.

A few other programs we looked at doing were Explode the Code. We also tried Flashkids Phonics (from Barnes and Noble). It was a good phonics review, but not an intervention-type program.

I feel your frustration, I've been reading since I remember and it hard to realize you own ds may have an issue. One thing we started was reading to him every day.

We do a lot of school work orally. I didn't require hardly any writing until this year.

The other thing that was important is that he could easily sense my frustration. It would make him balk and any progress we were making ceased. I talked to ds about some of the technicalities we thought was going on in his brain, we used the term "glitch". We talked about reprogramming his computer (his brain). I wanted him to understand that he hadn't done anything wrong and this was a challenge to be overcome.

(HUGS)

:(

So sorry for your struggles!

2 of my 5 kids have taught themselves to read - between 3 and 4.

1 of my kids (daughter) finally learned when she was almost 6

My five year old took 6 months to learn the first 2 letters in his name, and another 3 months to learn the last letter of his name.

Whew! They are all so different!

It seems to take so long to figure out their different strengths and struggles.

It took us 8 years to figure out my daughter has learning difficulties. She is almost ENTIRELY an auditory learner. At the end of 4th grade we finally figured this out after she had been struggling for 5 years in everything academic. We had her "teach" her (3 years younger) brother phonics so she would get a review. They were at the same level when she was in 4th grade.

Last year we switched to Switched on Schoolhouse, and we had her help teach her brother to read with Sing, Read, Write, and Spell (or something similar) - ANYTHING that she could LISTEN to. We always knew she was a good listener, and could follow directions, but for some reason when she would read something, her brain would stall on trying to figure out what the shapes, letters, sounds made and miss out on the comprehension.