Menu

Ambleside users

Gamom3

Do you dc just read the books and they are done.

I would love to do this program next year with my dc, but I like questions to be answered and I am not one to come up with them on my own.

do you have them do any questions? If so where did you get the questions?

I will be doing 2 different levels...6th and 8th grade

Oral narration, written narration, and there are some *tests* available at the Yahoo groups (I think).

One thing about CM is that the child makes his/her own connections with the books, and not just answering those *read and regurgitate* questions that seem to fill most workbooks/study guides.

HTH,

Michele

I posted it on my blog awhile ago. Here is the post:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony/394751/'>http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Testimony/394751/'>http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony/394751/'>http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Testimony/394751/

I love Ambleside Online. The program is so beautiful. There is a lot of reading that you have to do especially when they are younger. I started off small. I did a few things at a time. Slowly but surely, I have gone full blown Ambleside.

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My dd is only in Year 1. All I do is read the selection, and she tells it back to me as best she can. Sometimes we look the country up on the map or make a notation on our timeline. I read only 1 literature or history selection a day and a poem a day. It's amazing the connections she is making already and how much she talks about the different books. Seems like she is always asking to just read 1 more chapter....

Suzanne

I have used Ambleside for many years...in one form or another, it has been the backbone of my curriculum for at least 8 years. Through those years we have done from just reading the selections...to writing persuasive essays. We have lapbooked...notebooked...outlined...drawn pictures...wrote character sketches...played with our playmobile or leogo guys...made posters...you name it. I have used online and library resources extensively. I have read and re-read CM's original works and tried to knit in my own educational philosophy (re: I have no nanny or housekeeper...I work almost full time from home...and we are in a modern society where we have access to virtual feild trips or virtual labs. LOL)

I think the best way to go about AO is to start off with slow changes...say the Artist rotation. Once a week have your dc do a picture study...color a page or draw what they remember....read a very smal bio...and try to hang some of the artists prints around your house. I just use them as the background on my computer....osmosis.

AO can seem very overwhelming...as can any curriculum...BUT if you start off slowly you will see the beauty and richness of the program.

Don't sweat it if you are not "on schedule." I have yet to finish an AO year in a year...or even get to Year 12....ever....and my kiddoes are doing very well in their college studies....

If I can be of any help...feel free to ask.

Do you dc just read the books and they are done.

I would love to do this program next year with my dc, but I like questions to be answered and I am not one to come up with them on my own.

do you have them do any questions? If so where did you get the questions?

I will be doing 2 different levels...6th and 8th grade

I think that comprehension questions misses the point of CM and Ambleside (and I don't think TWTM thinks much of them either). They tend to test for what the child doesn't know...narrations ask the child to tell you back what they do know. It is a very positive thing and it can be very empowering for the child to put in their own words what they just read. They certainly dont just read the book and be done, except with the free reading lists.

Trying to use study guides or too many questions along with the books would get tedious very quickly, because one of the benefits of Ambleside is that they read lots of books- if you try to do too much with each book, you would end up having to read a lot less. The idea is that the child makes their own connections. For assignments, there are many ways for a child to express what they got out of a passage, chapter or book- retelling is the basic way, but also creative exercises, building things, onto writing essays in highschool.

I dont think you can do Ambleside without really understanding a lot of the philosophy behind it- other wise it is just a good booklist, which is fine too. I think the socratic questioning that is listed in TWTM Logic stage section would be very good with the books too- it leads to deeper understanding through discussion. We discuss a lot. Sometimes I look up an online study guide of one particular book so that we can go deeper into one of the many books they are reading each term- as in, learn literature terms and structure etc. I have found good ideas ofr essay questions in study guides too.

I feel we share the books- even if only one person is reading a particular book, I will frequently ask how its going, where are they up to, are they liking it. I never just hand a book over and thats the end of it. They become a part of family conversation.