Menu

Carb Flu

IfIOnly

For those of you who have gone low carb, did you experience this? I've got a headache and my arms and legs feel heavy, which are my usual symptoms plus some fatigue when cutting back on sugar and carbohydrate foods. I should feel better (even better than before actually, hopefully!) in several days. Is there something I can do to lessen symptoms though? I'm drinking lots of water, five cups or so, so far.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

You need plenty of minerals and water. Avocado, almonds, and broth will all help. Bone broth is best but even just bouillon will be a big help to you. Salt, potassium, and magnesium!

You need plenty of minerals and water. Avocado, almonds, and broth will all help. Bone broth is best but even just bouillon will be a big help to you. Salt, potassium, and magnesium!

I have hm broth in the freezer and will pull some out. I should make some ava/broth/veggie soup in my blender tonight. Thank you, Arctic Mama.

What they said.  An electrolyte supplement is another option.  You use up far more sodium and electrolytes in ketosis.  Keep up with broth or other electrolytes daily.  If you have to, sugar free gatorade.  I like this drink mix https://www.amazon.com/EMERGEN-C-ELECTRO-MIX-Lemon-Lime-4-2/dp/B002HWRY5S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468108624&sr=8-1&keywords=emergen+c+electro+mix

Pat yourself on the back!

• Like 2

I forgot to mention I'm so tired. I think I'll just spend the rest of the day in bed. Although I didn't plan it, it's good DH is home to help with the kids and dinner since it's the weekend. Maybe I'll be feeling better by Monday. That would be perfect. Ha!

What they said. An electrolyte supplement is another option. You use up far more sodium and electrolytes in ketosis. Keep up with broth or other electrolytes daily. If you have to, sugar free gatorade. I like this drink mix https://www.amazon.com/EMERGEN-C-ELECTRO-MIX-Lemon-Lime-4-2/dp/B002HWRY5S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468108624&sr=8-1&keywords=emergen+c+electro+mix Pat yourself on the back!

Oh, so good to know. I usually have a salt heavy diet (good salt like Celtic or pink Himalayan), but salads just doesnt taste good to me super salty. I could put a pinch in my lemon and Stevia water and try to eat more soup or at least more broth with meals and inbetween. I like my broth salty. I'm also taking my multi at half dose so that should be helping, but I'll double up.

You're welcome and best of luck with the low carb transition. The first three days are so tough but it's absolutely worth it.

Thank you for that encouraging word! It's so true. I need to keep that in mind.

I'm starting to feeling worse now than when I started this thread. Uh oh. I better get that broth out and warming!

Besides broth, I have good salt and magnesium, but I got a stomachs ache and cramping from the potassium supplement I had previously tried. The potassium source is chloride. Has anyone tried a different supplement like citrate, aspartate, or gluconate with success? My multi has some potassium but probably not enough.

I've been reading that some people have the carb flu for weeks or months, and I can't do that! I think I'll hit it hard with supplements because for some reason things like this usually hit me hard. But it will be worth it.

The last time I went this low carb, after the transition, I felt amazing physically and with my mood. My husband was so amazed that a diet could make so much difference. That was 5 plus years ago. It's a hard diet on to stay on though. Hopefully after I lose the weight this time, I can introduce GOOD carbs moderately to maintain weight and keep feeling good.