Menu

CLE math through middle/high school

lgliser

I was wondering how long people usually use CLE math.  When I first started homeschooling, I figured I'd pick the right curriculum for each subject and see it through until 12th grade.  (HA)!!!  

So we've used CLE for 2 years now and I like it a lot.  But do most people use it all the way through middle school?  High school?  Or is something else better?

I may post this to the high school board too....

CLE has been updating their math to the Sunrise edition, but they have only completed through Algebra 1 so far. I have heard they are working on geometry, but I don't know when that will be completed. They do have upper level high school math, but it is not well regarded. So the CLE program, as you know it, goes through Algebra 1 at this point.

We used through grade 8 (level 800), and I planned to use algebra next year, but DD is enrolling in school instead. Many people stop using CLE after the 600 level. because prealgebra concepts are covered in two years (700 and 800), instead of one year. So if you use CLE on grade level and do not accelerate, you won't reach algebra until ninth grade. Many people want algebra in eighth grade, so they switch to a one-year prealgebra program after 600.

DD struggles with math, and we didn't think she would be ready for algebra before ninth. We were content with spending both seventh and eighth grade solidifying her prealgebra, and I don't have any regrets about that. A student who is adept at math and ready to move into algebra by 8th grade would need to either accelerate CLE or choose a one-year prealgebra program instead.

• Like 1

Agree with Storygirl.  CLE is easy to accelerate, by the way.  And the light unit Algebra 1 is really good.  If you and your student are happy with CLE you could easily stick with it through Algebra I then switch at that point.  Many here have done that very successfully.  There are several past threads regarding how.

• Like 1