Menu

Any car detailers here?

Tap

I have a 2015 Subaru Outback with black leather.  I love the black interior because I like a clean car, and since it show every thing, it keeps me motivated to keep it clean.

Last summer I drove some teenagers to and from a lake.  A week later, I noticed a white smeary-spot that is a little smaller than a dollar bill, on the arm rest that folds down in the back.  I have tried so many things to get it off and I can't get it to budge. It was on a hot day, so maybe it got into the pores of the leather ?

My guess, is that it was a blob of sunscreen that someone dropped and without thinking about it, rubbed it in to make it go away.  The other idea, is that it was from someones arm and is sunscreen and body oils.

I have tried detail spray, soapy water made with Dawn, Leather Honey leather cleaner, Murphy's oil soap (thinking that maybe oil will loosen oil), warm washcloth on a hot day with vinegar, and leather conditioner, 

I still can't get it to budge.  Any ideas?

Edited by Tap

I don't know much, but would it work better to clean it when the leather is really hot again?  Maybe the Dawn could get into the pores after several hours in a hot parking lot?  

When I started googling "getting sunscreen off," it autocompleted with "leather seats," so you are not the only one.

The other thing I thought is are you sure it is a stain?  I'm sure the leather is dyed black.  Is it possible that whatever was spilled bleached it a bit?  Maybe you need to look at covering it rather than cleaning it.  I would think that car manufacturers might have stuff to match, like you car buy for leather shoes or purses, maybe?

I don't know much, but would it work better to clean it when the leather is really hot again?  Maybe the Dawn could get into the pores after several hours in a hot parking lot?  

When I started googling "getting sunscreen off," it autocompleted with "leather seats," so you are not the only one.

The other thing I thought is are you sure it is a stain?  I'm sure the leather is dyed black.  Is it possible that whatever was spilled bleached it a bit?  Maybe you need to look at covering it rather than cleaning it.  I would think that car manufacturers might have stuff to match, like you car buy for leather shoes or purses, maybe?

LOL yeah, I found the same thing when I Googled too.  LOL  It seems like lots of people have this issue.

The leather being bleached is a good idea, but when I first was scrubbing at it, it did lighten and even spread a little.  So I am certain that it is something on the surface.