Menu

Laying down the Rails

Rachel

Tell me what this looks like in your home. Do you use the parent and child book? Just the parent book?

I bought the parent book and have skimmed it. It isn't what I expected, I think I want the child book too, but don't want to spend more money just yet.

I have read alot of the Laying Down the Rails for Yourself book.  Really, really struck by alot of what she is saying here.

I will say if you don't have the student book, it would be helpful to get.  Also, read page 50 of the handbook, Laying Down the Rails.  It has a quote from Charlotte Mason about why the habit of attention is of first importance.  "All the other intellectual gifts depend on it."

My plan is to continue reading through the Laying Down for myself book - LOVE the section on kindness, being kind to MYSELF as I grow in each habit.  I highlighted this today..."If you mentally beat yourself up in a condemning, pile-driver way every time you make a mistake, you will reinforce a neuron path that is labeled Respond to Failure with Harshness.  Soon you will find yourself responding that way to all mistakes and failures - your spouse's, your children's, your co-workers'.  Thought patterns make powerful habits."

WELL alrighty then, this one little book just summarized my childhood and unfortunately pinpointed some major problems with my parenting.

Exactly why I need to pursue this study myself and for my children.

Excellent material so far, I think!

Edited by momee
  • Like 3

Ordered Laying Down the Rails a few months ago.  Haven't made time to read it, but now I'm inspired to read it before our new school year starts!  I didn't realize there was one for children and one for adults--intrigued.

Ordered Laying Down the Rails a few months ago. Haven't made time to read it, but now I'm inspired to read it before our new school year starts! I didn't realize there was one for children and one for adults--intrigued.

I think the original book is geared more toward adults and the children's companion which came out later has more of a "lesson plan".