Menu

Upper elementary math manipulatives

Sarah0000

What math manipulatives are good to add to a well rounded collection that's most useful for upper elementary topics? Here's my wish list so far:

Fraction circles

Fraction/decimal/percents equivalency cubes

Ones to millions/thousands to thousandths place value flip chart

I already have c rods and a bucket balance and weights that I anticipate I'll continue to use.

MUS fraction overlays. They really help to show multiplication/division of fractions. You can totally make your own, though, with squares of transparent plastic.

We also use Montessori square root boards to demonstrate how to figure square roots of any number. That was more for middle school, though. I can't think of anything else we added that was really necessary in late elementary.

Honestly, we found the c-rods to be the one thing that got continued use. If kids already know them, then they're better for fractions than most of the fraction manipulatives I've seen. I did find that we needed the base-10 100 flats and the thousand cubes that I bought to go with them. Good for long division.

Zometools are a neat one, but pricey.

• Like 2

MUS fraction overlays. They really help to show multiplication/division of fractions. You can totally make your own, though, with squares of transparent plastic.

We also use Montessori square root boards to demonstrate how to figure square roots of any number. That was more for middle school, though. I can't think of anything else we added that was really necessary in late elementary.

Where do you buy these?

Honestly, we found the c-rods to be the one thing that got continued use. If kids already know them, then they're better for fractions than most of the fraction manipulatives I've seen. I did find that we needed the base-10 100 flats and the thousand cubes that I bought to go with them. Good for long division.

Zometools are a neat one, but pricey.

Where do you get your Montessori materials?

Where do you buy these?

The peg boards are easily made if needed, but we ordered our demo boards from Alison's Montessori.  Their equipment is usually pretty cheap and quality for the use it gets here.  I just looked, though, and they've stopped carrying the demo boards.  I did find them at another site, though- http://www.montessoriequipment.com/Patterns-for-Square-Root-p/m.194.1.htm

• Like 1