Menu

Hakim's "Story of Science" online classes?

Wabi Sabi

I know that last year I came across some online classes using Joy Hakim's Story of Science books, but I can't remember who offered the classes and haven't had luck searching for them. Anyone familiar with them? 

Thanks!

Edited by Wabi Sabi

We probably spent 3 to 3.5 hours on it a week. One hour of that was the online lecture/discussion, and the remainder was split between reading the text and hands on demonstration type things. We made a fountain of the type invented by a 1 AD physicist (that was probably out favorite activity) and did some hands on things with the Pythagorean theorem. We measured the circumference of the earth. She had lots of things to do and I really appreciated that it wasn't read the book, listen to this lecture and then fill out this worksheet. The instructor is great, she seems very knowledgeable. There are plenty of opportunities to discuss things in class and she also has online office hours if the kids have other things they want to talk about. She's kind of nerdy like my daughter and referenced things like Avatar: The Last Airbender, ViHart's youtube channel, and I don't remember what else, but she really seems to get children and she has a youngish daughter herself so maybe that's why. We liked it enough to sign up for her next class.

The online portal is really well designed and once my daughter figured out how to navigate it, I was able to mostly turn the class over to her.

My only complaint, and it isn't about the class, is about the text itself. The information is great and very interesting, but the presentation is very ADHD. There are so many sidebars and other topic boxes that it sometimes really hard to read. I finally asked my daughter to just read through the chapter just reading the main text and then return to the start of the chapter and read all the extras. Maybe it's not the best method but I haven't found a better one.

• 6 years later...