Menu

does anyone here use Galore Park french?

Tina Duke

I'm *still* trying to decide on a french program for my ds.. we've been using Learnables and this year RStone online through the library... RStone would be expensive to get.. and I'm not convinced it's the program I want... thought about going back to Learnables.. so what about Galore park? what would I need.. not sure which level...any help is appreciated..

Salut!

We are using So You Really Want To Learn French 1 (French Prep) too.

It is really excellent. We are starting at the beginning despite having good spoken French. I wanted the children to understand and be able to write French.

It is logical with plenty of speaking practice, logical introduction of the present tense with the verbs 'avoir' and 'etre' very early. By the second (or is it third?) chapter they have covered plenty of -er verbs.

Our two are really enjoying it (although it is mainly review for them).

The cd is invaluable. It is well recorded using native speakers (children and adults) and most exercises have a track to refer to.

It teaches you, from the beginning, to translate from English into French as well as French to English. There are also plenty of games where you are obliged to speak in French.

It is a really excellent programme.

Lorna,

your reply was very helpful, I am thinking of ordering this for myself, then to use with my younger children...I took 2 years of French in highschool but sadly do not remember a whole lot. I am thinking of doing Galore park for myself maybe with Rosetta stone...and doing the easy French with my 5 and 8 year old.

I really enjoyed your blog, lovely photos! Could you tell us something about the painting above your "about me" section in your sidebar? It's just beautiful.

Hi Jen,

If it is for yourself then I highly recommend Michel Thomas cds. There is an eight hour course and then an advanced French course. It will reteach you all the grammar you will ever need to know and get you speaking with great confidence. I took six years of French at school and I needed a complete refresher too. My husband learned very quickly from scratch using Michel Thomas.

Learning a language requires a good input of time but it is so worth it, especially if you want to relax into learning with your children.

Galore Park French is a wonderful way to consolidate both the written and the spoken and I really recommend it for children.

The painting, I am sad to say, isn't my own. I should put some of mine up. I found it searching for an image of someone knitting socks. I loved it too.

how high does it go? all through high school? credit worthy?

It leads to a UK exam that is roughly equivalent to a SAT II.

The books are available in the US from http://www.horriblebooks.com (Ray may have some on hand - otherwise he orders periodically in batches) or direct from the UK with free shipping from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk. I've used BD several times; service has always been excellent and very swift.

Laura

I found this :

Synopsis

This assessment pack provides ten unit tests in the four skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) to be used at the end of each chapter.

I think I"m leaning towards this program but wondering if I need this... wondering if there are other tests in the other books or if this is necessary... It's the most expensive part... but I don't want to leave it out if I need it...thanks for any help.. I'm hoping to order everything today..

We don't have the assessment pack. I would think it is unnecessary unless you want your child to enter an English public (private) school and sit the thirteen plus exam :)

The CDs are a must, the textbook, and the answer book would be very helpful if you don't have much French.

Both the French and the Spanish materials go through level 3. Horriblebooks in the U.S. doesn't carry level 3 in either language (although it might be worth asking the owner (Ray?) if he could special order them for you). I don't think that bookdepository in the U.K. carries French level 3. You may have to purchase directly from Galore Press. Others on this board have done so successfully.

Both the French and the Spanish materials go through level 3. Horriblebooks in the U.S. doesn't carry level 3 in either language (although it might be worth asking the owner (Ray?) if he could special order them for you). I don't think that bookdepository in the U.K. carries French level 3. You may have to purchase directly from Galore Press. Others on this board have done so successfully.

That may be because French Prep 3 was only released in December.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know! I'm planning to use the Spanish 2 texts and I'm still trying to figure out the best (i.e., fastest, least expensive) way to order these. Just a couple of minutes ago I purchased one of the Spanish books through Abebooks in the U.S. so that I can examine it before investing in the entire package.

We use it with two children aged ten and twelve. You could use it with several at a time. The books are non-consumable textbook style. I think that the age range would be from about nine to any age (perhaps earlier with a very verbal child). There is a bit of writing involved and they would need to be confident in their spelling abilities.

Having said that there is an excellent variety of activities that makes good for the auditory learner too.

Lorna,

I really enjoyed your blog, lovely photos! Could you tell us something about the painting above your "about me" section in your sidebar? It's just beautiful.

I have posted one of my own paintings on my blog. Unconsciously I have obviously chosen a picture fairly close to my own work looking at it now. You can click on the picture for a closer look at the detail. I hope you like it.

Lorna,

your painting you posted on your blog is stunningly wonderful! I know if I possessed such a painting, I would feel lucky to have it to enjoy. Wow, you are an amazing artist! How neat that one of your kids was the model.

thanks for sharing it.