Menu

Iowa or Stanford Test?

Do you prefer the Iowa ITBS or Stanford year-end assessment?  I realize some of you may prefer to not administer either one, and I understand those reasons, but I need to keep one on file, so the question is which of those two?  Because of their ages, I will be administering the 1-2 and 2-3 tests.  

Do both Iowa and Stanford provide Lexile scores for those grade levels?  If so, how accurate are the Lexile scores based on your observations and experience?

P.S. I REALLY need to update my signature.  ;-) 

Edited by Parkway Academy

I ended up using the Iowa for some administrative reason that I can't remember now.  

The main difference that I know about (or that I *think* I know about--someone correct me if I'm wrong!) is that the Iowa is timed and the Stanford is not.  

Edited by EKS

We have done Iowa in the past, and this year we are trying out Stanford.  Our Iowa results did not include Lexile scores, but I was told by  Triangle Assessments that the Stanford results will include Lexile measures.  I cannot comment on Lexile accuracy yet, since we are still working on our Stanford tests.

Both tests are very similar in format and content.  Stanford has a more modern feel; e.g., full color, large print, uncluttered testing booklets for the younger set. As Kai mentioned, the Iowa is timed, and the Stanford is untimed.

The main difference that I know about (or that I *think* I know about--someone correct me if I'm wrong!) is that the Iowa is timed and the Stanford is not.  

This is true.

We did Stanford because that is what my homeschool group administers. Results did include Lexile scores, and yes, they seem very close to what I would have guessed for my two kids who took the test.  

We have used Stanford for the last 7 years. For us, the Lexile scores have been right on the mark.  The only issue I initially had was that you need to be approved as an administrator to be able to use Stanford, which I am not sure if that is still the case.  I went through the process to get approved through the BJU testing site and just renew it every year.

Back when I was deciding which test to chose I remember digging up that Stanford was more rigorous than Iowa.  But of course at this point, I have no legitimate links to back that up ;)

I went with Standford because it's not timed and because it's what the schools in my area have always used (even way back when I was a kid). I went through BJU testing. The process to be a tester is super simple and only requires you to enter your college name/degree/year and watch a 6 minute video online (free) explaining that you shouldn't cheat. :) I think I was approved in 2 or 3 days.