Menu

More Writing Angst

Writing is *that* topic for me. I know we already have a billion threads on writing, but I need help deciding on something for my older two kids. Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Thinking in Threes (+ Intro to Composition from Blackbird and Co?)

Writing with a Thesis

Lost Tools of Writing

Can you give me any insights into strengths, weaknesses, and goals of these programs? What level of writing experience would you expect a child to have going into these?

Edited by TKDmom

I may be talking to myself here, :lol: but I think I may buy Blackbird & Co's essay book, and do that with Thinking in Threes for 7th/8th grader.

I've been looking at Writing with a Thesis and I really like it, but it looks like it's geared towards college freshmen who can write, but need to learn to write well. So too advanced for us right now.

Perhaps an online LToW class for my 10th grader. I'm reading other writing threads and realized it's ok to admit that I need outside accountability for writing. But she has 500 other online classes she wants to take. Sigh...

Edited by TKDmom

I love the idea of LTOW, but I didn't like trying to implement several years ago.  My 14yo has been doing it for a couple years in co-op and it has been good for him, but I haven't had to teach it.  I like Thinking in Threes a lot.  It is very open and go and relatively easy to apply to whatever you want them to write about.  

• Like 1

Lost Tools of Writing has amazing invention stage instruction which I think makes it very different from many writing programs. It is not easy to teach. You have to listen/watch all the CDs/DVDs in order to use it to its full potential. (In fact if you have access to it, you might want to use just the invention stage resources, they are so different. The other two stages are covered well in many writing programs.) Or you can sign them up for the online LTOW class and reduce your workload tenfold. That being said I haven't used either of the other two you mentioned (though Writing with a Thesis is on my bookshelf).

• Like 1