Menu

Book "about" writing for DD

Hi ladies

My 8 year old daughter just LOVES writing. She is currently writing a few plays and a book based loosely on Anne of Green Gables. This said, she writes like an 8 year old, but I love that she loves it! She's always asking for tips and wants to read about authors and how they learned to write. My husband suggested I find a book for her to read over the summer that could encourage her about writing in general. Not a curriculum. Just a book about writing, but ok for her age. I have no idea if anything like this is out there or not. As I was browsing Writers in Residence last week, I loved the snippets about authors and think she would love that, but obviously, that is an entire language arts curriculum. I am letting her just run free with her writing right now and have some plans for the fall, but i just think she would enjoy some food for thought this summer. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I posted some recommendations in this thread from a couple of years ago. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/533278-if-a-child-wanted-to-be-an-author/ It was about curriculum, but there are book recommendations as well.

Gail Carson Levine would be my first recommendation, and she has published a third book on writing since then, Writer to Writer. My DD11 has loved them all. Ralph Fletcher also has some great books for beginning writers.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I posted some recommendations in this thread from a couple of years ago. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/533278-if-a-child-wanted-to-be-an-author/ It was about curriculum, but there are book recommendations as well.

Gail Carson Levine would be my first recommendation, and she has published a third book on writing since then, Writer to Writer. My DD11 has loved them all. Ralph Fletcher also has some great books for beginning writers.

Perfect! Thanks so much!

• Like 1

I have not read this book, but heard good things about it:  Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott.  But you'll want to preread it because I think it is written for an adult audience, and I have no idea if it's appropriate for children.  

"Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that he'd had three months to write. It was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my  brother's shoulder, and said, 'Bird by bird, buddy.  Just take it bird by bird.'"

Think you've got a book inside of you? Anne Lamott isn't afraid to help you let it out. She'll help you find your passion and your voice, beginning from the first really crummy draft to the peculiar letdown of publication. Readers will be reminded of the energizing books of writer Natalie Goldberg and will be seduced by Lamott's witty take on the reality of a writer's life, which has little to do with literary parties and a lot to do with jealousy, writer's block and going for broke with each paragraph. Marvelously wise and best of all, great reading.