Menu

Is this enough for Language Arts?

sweetpea3829

Alternatively titled...Talk Me Out of Shiny New Curriculum!  

2nd grade...

EIW 2

AAS2

ETC to round off phonics

Spectrum phonics, grammar and reading for review/supplement

Aesop Fables/Operational Definitions of Character Qualities for dictation, copywork, handwriting, etc.

Am I missing something?  As much as I loathe it...I'm tempted to pull out LLATL Red in order to make sure I'm covering all bases.  But then I feel like I've got it all covered except maybe we could use something for reading, aside from the Spectrum reading comp practice.  

4th/5th grade...

EIW 4

AAS6

Spectrum vocab/word study, grammar, reading for review/supplement

Novel studies (TBD, but will include discussion, vocab development, etc)

Aesop Fables/Operational Definitions of Character Qualities for dictation, copywork, handwriting, etc.

Maybe Latin....we'll see.

Anything I'm missing?  

I definitely think it's enough.  Personally, I would dump the Spectrum because I don't like to use two resources for the same subject.  I prefer to streamline, keep it simple and straightforward.  Even when the supplement doesn't take long, it seems to consume a large mental burden for me.   :laugh: .  jmho.  For 2nd (and probably 4th also) I would just continue reading and use narration and discussion to gauge comprehension.  

How about creative writing and poetry?

Should be covered in EIW.  But TBH, I don't think EIW covers it enough.  So I'm going to gauge how this year goes and make a decision next year on whether or not to dump EIW, or keep EIW and add in something else for poetry and composition.  

I may even do EIW 4 and 5 this year, as my Bigs are more 5th than 4th...the only reason they're in EIW 4th is because I started it later with them and wanted to start from 2nd last summer, and do 3rd this past year.  

Personally it looks like way too much overlap.

2nd

composition, grammar, mechanics, a bit of poetry ~ EIW 2

phonics based spelling ~ AAS2

phonics ~ ETC to round off phonics

phonics, grammar and reading ~ Spectrum phonics, grammar and reading for review/supplement

composition, penmanship, maybe reading ~ Aesop Fables/Operational Definitions of Character Qualities for dictation, copywork, handwriting, etc.

That's a lot for a little person. I'd pick either EIW *or* whatever that last line is. I'd pick AAS *or* ETC. I'd drop Spectrum altogether. Reading is the only one it doesn't double, and those reading comp exercises just suck the joy out of reading. I'd add a stack of high quality children's literature to read and casually discuss.

Am I missing something?  As much as I loathe it...I'm tempted to pull out LLATL Red in order to make sure I'm covering all bases.  But then I feel like I've got it all covered except maybe we could use something for reading, aside from the Spectrum reading comp practice.  

Elementary language arts is generally grammar, composition, spelling, and literature. With extras like penmanship, vocab, and such added as/if needed.

4th/5th grade

composition, grammar, mechanics, some poetry ~ EIW 4

spelling ~ AAS6

vocab, grammar, reading ~ Spectrum vocab/word study, grammar, reading for review/supplement

literature, vocab ~ Novel studies (TBD, but will include discussion, vocab development, etc)

composition, penmanship ~ Aesop Fables/Operational Definitions of Character Qualities for dictation, copywork, handwriting, etc.

Language ~ Maybe Latin....we'll see.

I'd drop all the Spectrum again, and probably that Aesop line. Grammar is covered in EIW, vocab will be covered in literature and Latin, and reading comp is redundant with reading good literature anyway.

FWIW, my rising third grader will use Treasured Conversations (composition w/ grammar), R&S spelling, and a pile of children's literature for language arts. She'll also be studying Spanish.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2

Yeah, I'd like to drop the Spectrum, too.  But we are in a state that requires standardized testing and the Spectrum gives practice that resembles the kind of questions they'll see on those tests...particularly with the Reading Comp.  

The Spectrum grammar/language arts is more to practice the grammar concepts they're getting in EIW, as there's not enough review and it doesn't seem like grammar is sticking with any of my kids.  My Bigs still forget to capitalize sentences...which is aggravating, because we've gone over it umpteen times since 1st.  But whatevs.  

They don't do all of these subjects in the same day!  A lot of it is rotated...like I'll do Reading Comp on M and W and Language Arts review on T and TH.  

Otherwise...yeah...total overkill.