Menu

Ideas for US GOV'T timed to US elections 2016?

I'll be teaching three of mine and two of their friends. We'll meet twice monthly - one week to read and write, one week to come together to discuss and debate what we've read and written. We'll do a lot of reading on our own time - primary sources on the history of political system, how the government works, political philosophies.

I have one who took this class at public school and only covered how the government works and the election process. I have two now who are very interested in today's political environment. Problem is, I'm not eligible to vote so I don't know or follow these things. :blushing:  I don't know where to look for information and materials relevant to today - things like today's issues, candidates, election, politics.

What suggestions do you have? I'm thinking we can argue some Supreme Court cases, but what else?

What kind of projects are good? I promised I'd come up with one before I realized how hard it'd be LOL.  I'd love something to do with propaganda but am drawing a blank. I'm open to anything. I have two that love projects, the more hands-on and crafty the better.

• Like 2

One possibility might be talking about the two competing pressures the media struggles against, over reporting the news vs. creating the news, maybe going from "Dewey Defeats Truman" to the recent controversy over the Associated Press reporting on the Democratic nomination before it had officially happened.

• Like 1

One possibility might be talking about the two competing pressures the media struggles against, over reporting the news vs. creating the news, maybe going from "Dewey Defeats Truman" to the recent controversy over the Associated Press reporting on the Democratic nomination before it had officially happened.

GREAT IDEA!! I love this.

This is right up the alley I was thinking of, but couldn't get down on my own LOL.  I appreciate the idea!

• Like 1

Another vote for iCivics.

ETA the rest of my post. :glare:  Sorry; first cup of coffee here.

You might also find some useful information at C-Span's classroom site.  Here's a link to the Bell-Ringers page.

Both sites, iCivics and C-Span, share my favorite criteria:  They're free!

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 1