Menu

AoPS for algebra

Howdy!!

Now, that I've gotten at least one year homeschooling high school behind us I'm beginning to relax some, but. High school math has become a thorn in my side. We used Saxon Geometry and Algebra 1 this year but it wasn't a very good year. I thought that the boys would do just fine but we were constantly butting heads. It may have been partly because they had just done 2 years in public school because I had become disabled and needed sometime to learn to take care of myself before I could add homeschooling to the mix.

I don't want to go into how I failed them this year and that some things they learned while doing public school math has really messed things up. The oldest had done Algebra 1 in ps and gotten an A, so I had him in geometry and the youngest had finished 7th grade math in ps so I put him n Algebra 1. We all scratched and clawed our way thru their Saxon books until February and then I threw up my hands and said, I quit!! I let them take a break until the beginning of May, still getting in real world math every single day. Then a couple of weeks ago I had them take the Saxon and MUS placement tests. I literally sat and cried when I graded each one and found out that the youngest needed to be placed in pre-algebra and the oldest in algebra 1. These are the courses they took in ps the year before (2014-2015).

So, I've recovered from my shock and dismay and I want us all to start fresh. I've been looking at AoPS for Math but I've heard it's challenging so I'm not sure this would be a good fit. My boys have always done very well in math before going to ps and my other 5 kids excelled in math. Our son, who just graduated, took AP Calculus BC this year and got a 97 for the year and the highest grade in the class; this is how my other kids have done also so I know my youngest two are capable.

What would you do? Stick with Saxon, MUS, or another tried and true math curriculum? Or jump ship and try AoPS, which sounds like a solid program and seems to produce great results. I want my boys to be able to do the math but also understand the whys and hows behind what they are learning.

AoPS is a completely different approach (when used as written).  My oldest three are all talented math students.  My oldest son does not do well with AoPS alone, only as a 2nd pass.  PonyGirl thoroughly appreciates and enjoys the approach.  PokeMan tolerates it, but doesn't love it -- he prefers Chalkdust.

My top picks for Algebra/Geometry are:

Chalkdust (using Larson texts, I believe the Prealgebra ext is by Auffmann).

Foerster (Algebra 1, 2, Precalc, Calc)

Jacob's (Algebra 1, Geometry...we mostly use Geometry)

AoPS

We have used Life of Fred Lial's as well, but not as much as these four.

The chalkdust videos are lengthy, but thorough.  The explanations are solid.  

The Foerster and Jacob's texts have excellent written explanations.  Each set has videos (very short, compared to CD) -- Math w/o Borders and Ask Dr. Callahan.  My kids have preferred just using the Foerster texts vs. the text plus the videos (although, same kids don't mind the CD videos).

AoPS has excellent explanations, the problems are very challenging.

When selecting a math approach/text, it is really important (especially with Saxon or AoPS, because the approaches are so different), that you try to find a good match to your student, especially if math is not your strong suit.  While both Saxon and AoPS are solid math programs, each one will drive a good number of kids batty.

I recently learned that the Cengage Learning version of Chalkdust videos actually cover a math text which combines Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 (Elementary and intermediate Algebra).  This book is considered a remedial college text -- but because it is integrated, and your older son is familiar with Algebra topics, it may be a way for you to "catch up" a bit, without it being overwhelming for your older son.

Your younger son should continue to work through PreAlgebra -- but I wouldn't be surprised if it can easily be compacted (especially all of the basic math review -- he probably needs more practice with ratios, decimals, percents and fractions).  

Please keep in mind that the scope and sequence (as well as difficulty) will vary from program to program. 

LEGOManiac is doing very well with Chalkdust precalculus and will begin Calculus 1 in the fall as an 11th grader.

PonyGirl is doing very well with AoPS, and will begin Statistics in the fall, alongside Calculus (she'll do 3 full days of statistics, and 1 day of Calculus), she's in 9th

PokeMan has completed half of Chalkdust's pre-Algebra series in 3 months, and will be ready for his next two years of integrated math (we integrate Algebra 1, 2 and Geometry over two years).  He will be in 7th/8th (we are also using next year as a test case to see if he is ready to begin high school in 2017 vs. the current plan to begin in 2018.)

This has been our experience.  I am not a math teacher -- math above Geometry is starting to get really outside of my comfort zone.  I chose the programs we did because of the explanations available, the additional resources available, and played to each child's strengths.

Keep plugging -- things will work out!

• Like 3

We love AoPS -- but as others have mentioned, it's not for everyone.  Our favorite was the PreAlgebra book, but we still use the higher level books to supplement our regular curriculum.  Do take a look at the samples.  It might not have as much review as some students need.

One thought I have is this:  you said your oldest was doing Saxon Geometry, but placed into Algebra I.  That's not unusual -- a number of students might forget the Algebra they previously learned while focusing on Geometry.  If you are inclined to stick with Saxon, I would recommend that you go back and use the original Saxon series (second edition), which integrates Algebra and Geometry topics together.  I'm a big believer in integrated maths.

eta:  I'm looking at my younger dd's Alg 2 Saxon book which integrates Algebra and Geometry together, and it is the 3rd edition, while my older dd's Advanced Maths book is the 2nd edition.  I'm not sure what comes before these (we used Singapore's books before this year), but my basic recommendation is to stay away from the newer Saxon books that separate the Algebra and Geometry.  

Edited by amsunshinetemp

Wow! Lots of info to process. I've looked at AoPS minimally a year ago before I brought them back home. I guess I need to really check it out. I've also checked some of the others out but again I still end up back with Saxon because I know it the best since we've used it for 18 years, but I'm at the point that we need a change.

Since oldest has 3 years left I can't be screwing around; I need to get this right. He loves math and really did well in Algebra 1 in 8th while in ps so it was a surprise that he didn't do better on the placement test.

As you save d, I will keep plugging along and praying that we find the right fit.