Menu

Aside from reporting a phone stolen to the mobile carrier, is there a way to prevent use?

Tap

If a phone has been stolen, is there a way to prevent it being activated on another carrier?

My daughters Galaxy S6 was stolen a few weeks ago, so I was wondering if there was anything we could do to prevent its use.

• Like 1

If you know the IMEI number of a GSM technology cell phone, hopefully, if you report the loss to your cell provider, they will add that IMEI number to the Blacklist.  If you register for a Samsung account, according to the Dummies book about Android phones, their service for finding lost/stolen phones and wiping personal stuff on them, works better than other Apps.  Which reminds me that I reset the Samsung phone I am using, a few days ago, to the original factory settings, and I need to do that again.  Those Apps, if enabled before the phone is lost or stolen, hopefully will permit one to remotely wipe their data from the phone, assuming that it is turned on and can be located by the App.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

It has been reported stolen and the phone wiped.  I was just curious if anyone could put it on a 'stolen' black list for other carriers as well as our own carrier.

I believe this will vary, from country to country, and from carrier to carrier. My hope would be that if I reported an IMEI number to a carrier, as lost or stolen, that they would put it onto a "Blacklist", shared with the other carriers. That may or may not happen...

A few minutes ago, I tried the Samsung lost phone thing, on my very low end Samsung Android phone. It works!     :hurray:   It found my   phone and then I had it ring my phone, and my phone rang and on the display it said something like, "This phone has been lost". 

People with Samsung Android phones need to set up an account. the URL is http://findmymobile.samsung.com