Menu

do you think it is fair to make a 4th grader

Well fair, sane, right, LOL

I know my 4th grader could not do it, and I don't think that means something is wrong with him.

Ps kids are trained to do it. Unless your 4th grader is not neurotypical then I'd bet good money he could be trained to in a school classroom with a couple of months.

• Like 1

Ps kids are trained to do it. Unless your 4th grader is not neurotypical then I'd bet good money he could be trained to in a school classroom with a couple of months.

Yes probably.  And he'd probably be less inclined to complain to a stranger than to me.

Although I still think in the beginning it would be a shock to his system.

As it is now, I don't ever make him sit that long to do anything.  He's getting a lot better over time, but when he was a bit younger...oh man.  I think school would have been a difficult place for him.

Meanwhile, my other kid is completely the opposite.  I can't get him to move.  :laugh:   He can sit and focus for hours.  He always could.  Even as a baby I'd read to him and he'd sit and listen for a very long time.  My younger kid wanted nothing to do with being read to for quite some time. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

I thought I heard that on the news, but I can't find that. It seems it has happened in my district. The opt out rate is one of the lowest I came across.

This really is quite different with the homeschooling stuff though.

I follow NJ more closely than NY, although I am interested in both. Last year, some NJ has very high opt out rates, some low. This year many districts are attempting to crack down, often telling outright lied.

In NY, Long Island is a hotbed of opt outing, also Hudson valley and some places upstate.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/more-long-island-students-opt-out-of-state-tests-1460152492

https://www.facebook.com/SaveOurSchoolsNJ/

NJ doesn't have testing requirements for homeschoolers, btw.

Edited by Alessandra

Do you HAVE to do this particular test?  Is there a reason you're not choosing a different testing option?  Administering a test at home?  (Did you say your district mandates the test be proctored by a licensed educator?  I can't remember).  

As far as I know, NYers have a range of approved standardized tests, some of which are longer, some are shorter.  And the test proctor has to be approved, but there's nothing that says you have to do the test at the school's test site. 

We're still getting a grasp of these regs ourselves...as my oldest would technically be 5th grade this coming year but is reporting as 4th grade (and functioning lower than that).  I wasn't planning on using STAR, and for that matter, haven't really heard anybody on NYHEN mention using it.  But our district says we can and for DDs purpose, it sounds like it's probably a better fit than making her sit through one of the other standardized tests.  

I'm having eldest DS take it just to give me an idea of where he's at.  But I will likely use a different test for him for reporting purposes.  

Do you HAVE to do this particular test?  Is there a reason you're not choosing a different testing option?  Administering a test at home?  (Did you say your district mandates the test be proctored by a licensed educator?  I can't remember).  

As far as I know, NYers have a range of approved standardized tests, some of which are longer, some are shorter.  And the test proctor has to be approved, but there's nothing that says you have to do the test at the school's test site. 

We're still getting a grasp of these regs ourselves...as my oldest would technically be 5th grade this coming year but is reporting as 4th grade (and functioning lower than that).  I wasn't planning on using STAR, and for that matter, haven't really heard anybody on NYHEN mention using it.  But our district says we can and for DDs purpose, it sounds like it's probably a better fit than making her sit through one of the other standardized tests.  

I'm having eldest DS take it just to give me an idea of where he's at.  But I will likely use a different test for him for reporting purposes.  

Oh no no.  I already did a test.  My only worry about them giving me a hard time is that this is a new superintendent AND a new homeschool contact person.  So who knows how they will roll.  I don't plan to respond at all.  I'm just going to send my usual end of the year packet - o - crap.  So far I have had no issues, but yeah again new people so who knows!

There is a range of approved tests.  Next year I plan to have my highschooler take the ACT.  I plan to use that without asking for preapprove. it's not on the list, but I will wait for them to reject it.  I don't assume they will. 

On another note, a few local people formed a peer review panel (I'm also on the panel).  We just sign people's stuff.  That has helped a few people who live in very cranky districts. 

• Like 1

We are fortunate to live in a great district (so far...but when new people roll in...you know how that goes).  

My best friend lives in Pavilion and they are apparently known for being very difficult.  I think they even wanted her to account for her hours.  And she HAD to have a licensed educator sign off on her stuff.  

They also requested more info on her IHIP than they were allowed to request.  But nobody takes them to task for it.  

We are fortunate to live in a great district (so far...but when new people roll in...you know how that goes).  

My best friend lives in Pavilion and they are apparently known for being very difficult.  I think they even wanted her to account for her hours.  And she HAD to have a licensed educator sign off on her stuff.  

They also requested more info on her IHIP than they were allowed to request.  But nobody takes them to task for it.  

Once out of the blue I was asked to provide a list of books.  I had written extensive details regarding what I would cover in each subject.  I figured this was better than a list of books.  How would they know what are in the books unless they were typical public school books?  Ya know? 

I gave them a list.  I should not have, but I didn't feel like dealing at that time.  Now I only give them a list of books for most subjects.  It's much easier and they accept it.

But, I know, I do not HAVE to provide a list of books.  That person is no longer the contact person. 

There is no method to their madness.  Another time I got a letter saying my plan was accepted, but be sure next time to include music.  I HAD included music.  Yet another time they sent me an approval letter that wasn't filled out at all.  They  use some form letter where they check stuff on it and sign it.  It was blank.  I swear they don't read stuff.  They are so freaking disorganized.  Now they don't respond at all.  So I have no official piece of paper that says my IHIP was accepted. 

Last year I got a welcome packet for one of my kids from the regular school.  As if he were attending.  I have absolutely no idea how that happened.  So I called the super's office.  They said they don't deal with homeschoolers (uh yeah you are supposed to).  So I contacted the contact person and they said ignore it they don't know how that happened.  Neither of my kids have ever been to school here.  Then later on in the year I got a letter from the middle school for my older kid saying the yearbook for his class was now available for purchase.  How have my kids ended up on the regular school rosters?  I am baffled (and a bit wigged out) by this. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

LOL, we got a phone call one year, from the bus driver who would be picking up my Kindergartener.  I was all like, "Huh?"  Though I admit, for a moment there, I wondered to myself how blissful it would be to pack everybody onto the bus and send them off.   Just for a moment.

I'm not sure our district reads our paperwork either.  One year, I realized after the fact that I had inadvertently sent a quarterly for a previous school year, instead of the one I was supposed to.  They never said anything at all, and instead sent me the form card that indicates our plans are right on track, or whatever it says.  

Things are about to get interesting in our district...I'm in the pre-planning stages to see about changing district policies that prevent homeschoolers from having any integration within the public school.

I want my kid to be able to take AP classes darn it!  And music and art!  Cause I can't afford music and art lessons!  Band, choir, etc.  I suspect I'm going to have an uphill battle.  But we'll see!  

• Like 1

Definitely. They took... 3 or 4 sample tests this year before the actual STAAR, to get used to the format, the requirements, etc.  And my son was accepted to the accelerated program he will be in next year based partly on his results on one of the sample tests. (They use a lot of different elements. But they listed the sample test as one of them)  So they are not even totally "results don't matter"

Edited by vonfirmath

LOL, we got a phone call one year, from the bus driver who would be picking up my Kindergartener.  I was all like, "Huh?"  Though I admit, for a moment there, I wondered to myself how blissful it would be to pack everybody onto the bus and send them off.   Just for a moment.

I'm not sure our district reads our paperwork either.  One year, I realized after the fact that I had inadvertently sent a quarterly for a previous school year, instead of the one I was supposed to.  They never said anything at all, and instead sent me the form card that indicates our plans are right on track, or whatever it says.  

Things are about to get interesting in our district...I'm in the pre-planning stages to see about changing district policies that prevent homeschoolers from having any integration within the public school.

I want my kid to be able to take AP classes darn it!  And music and art!  Cause I can't afford music and art lessons!  Band, choir, etc.  I suspect I'm going to have an uphill battle.  But we'll see!  

Oh well good for you.  It's worth a try.  But I suspect you won't have much luck.  NY would have to change their policies across the board.  They do not allow part time school attendance of any kind.  However, they can allow homeschoolers to participate in extra curricular stuff.  Here they don't, but they are given the choice to allow it or not. 

Oh well good for you.  It's worth a try.  But I suspect you won't have much luck.  NY would have to change their policies across the board.  They do not allow part time school attendance of any kind.  However, they can allow homeschoolers to participate in extra curricular stuff.  Here they don't, but they are given the choice to allow it or not. 

Most of what I'm looking for would be considered up to the discretion of the district.  The AP classes would be a bit of a wild card.  Still though...from what I hear, there ARE other districts in the state that allow partial enrollment despite the regs not providing for it.  Certain districts, again, from what I hear, even allow homeschoolers to participate in non-team sports.  I hear that a neighboring district allows HSers to be on the swim team.  I *thought* that was a statewide issue, though...because the Intramural/Interscholastic (whatever it is) thing does not allow homeschoolers to participate.  

Mostly, I would just really like to get my kids in there for art, music and AP if I can.  

• Like 1

Most of what I'm looking for would be considered up to the discretion of the district.  The AP classes would be a bit of a wild card.  Still though...from what I hear, there ARE other districts in the state that allow partial enrollment despite the regs not providing for it.  Certain districts, again, from what I hear, even allow homeschoolers to participate in non-team sports.  I hear that a neighboring district allows HSers to be on the swim team.  I *thought* that was a statewide issue, though...because the Intramural/Interscholastic (whatever it is) thing does not allow homeschoolers to participate.  

Mostly, I would just really like to get my kids in there for art, music and AP if I can.  

I hope they let you.  I think it's ridiculous they don't.

Here they don't allow any of it.  They are big jerks.