Menu

Essentials in Writing users...

I have only used Levels 7 and up--Level 7 doesn't schedule grammar (it does have some optional grammar but we never used it--we just focused on writing). 

I'm not one who thinks you have to do grammar yearly though, so I would have been fine with a focus on writing. If the grammar is too light for your 4th grader, do a grammar focus in 5th or 6th grade.

I think it depends on what your definition of "enough" is.   I don't think it's as much grammar as R&S or CLE.   I feel R&S and CLE are both overkill for grammar, and particularly if you use them every single year.   Obviously many happy R&S and CLE users disagree with me   :laugh: .  

EIW covers all the major grammar topics every other program does if you look at their S&S.   I don't think they diagram, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

Even though I haven't used it yet, I do have the 6th grade year (for next year).  Because your children have already had grammar instruction, the EIW grammar will be plenty.  It's ususally the first half of the instructional DVD, with the second half being the writing instruction.  As another has said, you could just skip the grammar part and go straight to the writing portion.  If after writing, you think your children need more grammar, then you could go back and do that. 

• Like 1