Menu

For decorating T-shirts: Fabric markers? Sharpies?

ILiveInFlipFlops

We have t-shirts for a project that have designs on the front that are meant to be colored in, like a coloring book, so I'll need markers with some significant coverage. Can anyone recommend some good fabric markers that I could get on Amazon? Or am I better off with Sharpies in a good range of coverage?

Thanks!

We have t-shirts for a project that have designs on the front that are meant to be colored in, like a coloring book, so I'll need markers with some significant coverage. Can anyone recommend some good fabric markers that I could get on Amazon? Or am I better off with Sharpies in a good range of coverage?

Thanks!

Sharpies work very well. They actually have ones that are meant to work better on fabric now, you can usually find them most places that sell regular Sharpies, but I haven't tried them. 

Regular sharpies would be fine--probably cheaper and more colors than fabric markers--but IIRC the shirts need to be run through a hot dryer before washing to help set the ink.

Yes, I forgot to say that, but you should definitely run them in the dryer before washing. 

Another thing I like about Sharpies - you have a lot of sizes to choose from, from fine point to pretty thick. 

You can also use pipettes to drop alcohol on the shirt after coloring with Sharpie to creat a tie-dye effect. We did it with our scout troop as Daisies-they had a flower design on the shirt that they mostly colored with sharpies, then added the alcohol and let the colors bleed into each other...some wound up outside the flowers, but the girls loved them.

• Like 1