Menu

The Complete Writer - Is it Possible to Combine Lessons for 6.5yo & 9.5yo?

EngOZ

We've just read the  parents guide: "The Complete Writer" by Susan Wise Bauer, and we've also downloaded the workbook and student guide for year 1. I think this is an appropriate level for my 6.5 yo dd who is currently attending public school. She is quite reluctant with narration and copywork, and she's still working on her writing skills.

However, as I don't want to double up any of this work, and as I have a 9.5 yo daughter who needs help with writing, I would also like to use the year 1 program to develop her skills further. My older dd also attends public school, she is in grade 4 and she has been doing one-to-one oral narration with me for about 10 months. She doesn't have any problems with writing for her age, but like any kid, she struggles to put her thoughts together and write them out.

I would like to follow the format of the Complete Writer for year 1 for both child. However, I feel that the year 1 material is too simple for the 9.5 yo, especially the length of the copywork.

Is it possible to do year 1 as group work together, but adjust the material to suit both ages? How? If not, what would you suggest? 

Edited by EngOZ

It is pretty easy to grab more copy work from the reading selection. Or, do it as dictation for the older child.

I think the hardest part of combining with WWE is trying to do narration with both kids. I have ideas on that, but would have to reference my copy of WWE1 to see if my memory is correct, and maybe you won't have a problem with that like I did?

• Like 1

By Year 1, I'll assume you mean Writing With Ease Level 1.

I would not combine your students for lessons. Instead, I would double up the lessons for each student, especially your oldest. For each "week" of work, there are very short assignments for four days. It is possible to do two days' worth in one learning session. If you do this (Days One & Two, then Days Three & Four), you could teach your daughters on alternate days. IMO, this would be better than trying to combine them at the same time. It also allows each of your students to proceed at her own pace.

I have identical twin girls, who do nearly all their school work together, but they do WWE narrations separately. Dictations and copywork they can do at the same time. We usually combine two days' worth of work, and it isn't too much.

Another thought is that your oldest daughter may prefer to do her copywork and dictations on paper with narrower lines than those provided in the workbook download. She may also be ready to write her own narrations sooner than your younger child. HTH.

• Like 2

By Year 1, I'll assume you mean Writing With Ease Level 1.

I would not combine your students for lessons. Instead, I would double up the lessons for each student, especially your oldest. For each "week" of work, there are very short assignments for four days. It is possible to do two days' worth in one learning session. If you do this (Days One & Two, then Days Three & Four), you could teach your daughters on alternate days. IMO, this would be better than trying to combine them at the same time. It also allows each of your students to proceed at her own pace.

I have identical twin girls, who do nearly all their school work together, but they do WWE narrations separately. Dictations and copywork they can do at the same time. We usually combine two days' worth of work, and it isn't too much.

Another thought is that your oldest daughter may prefer to do her copywork and dictations on paper with narrower lines than those provided in the workbook download. She may also be ready to write her own narrations sooner than your younger child. HTH.

I like the idea of alternate days, should I start at Level 1 for the older child too so that they both work from the same level?

Edited by EngOZ

I like the idea of alternate days, should I start at Level 1 for the older child too so that they both work from the same level?

You could give your oldest child the evaluation in Week 36 of Level 1. If she has no problems with that, she may as well move on to Level 2. If she does have some difficulty with the evaluation, but not much, you might consider doing every other week in Level 1 -- for example, only odd-numbered weeks. A bright 4th grader who is not struggling with writing probably won't need all 35 weeks of Level 1. HTH.

And welcome to the WTM Boards! :)

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 1

I'd really only do about two weeks' worth of Level 1 for the 9.5 year old, unless there's struggle with it.  It's copywork.  And answering questions and telling *one* thing she remembers about the passage.  It's exactly right for most 6.5 year olds, but NOT for most 9.5 year olds, unless the child is really struggling.  Can you tell me why you want to follow Year 1 guidelines for both children?

I don't think there's any value to them in keeping them in the same level.   And the only value to you for it is the cost.  They're open-and-go programs, no prep required, if you buy the workbooks.

If you're selecting passages yourself then of course you could use the same books for both children, but following the Level 1 guidelines for the age 6 and following either level 2 or level 3 guidelines, depending on how she does, for the age 9 child.

• Like 1