Menu

Histories of Herodotus....

My son did not read all of his ancients in the order suggested by TWTM. After reading books 7 & 8 in Herodutus, he read about Themistocles in Plutarch. This was followed by a paper on the Battle of Salamis. (Naval battles fascinate my son so he has probably spent more time than the average kid on Nelson and the War of 1812.)

We also did other selections from Plutarch, fitting them into time period in which not person lived--not when Plutarch wrote his work.

Jane

and although we got bogged down in some parts, neither I nor my girls found the reading that terribly difficult. (They had more trouble with The Confessions of St. Augustine. :) ) For me, it was one of our better reads of the ancients.

Like Jane suggested, don't miss the Battle of Salamis and the Battles of Marathon and Thermopylae, and, of course, the last stand of the 300 Spartans.

My favorite has to be the section on gold 'mining' in India we still laugh about it 2 years later.

Histories was the book that convinced my youngest dd - 12 at the time -- that the size of the tome did not mean that the text itself was unreadable. She developed a firm sense that she could tackle anything.