Menu

Article: Should Congress be Perp Walked?

I say absolutely. Have you all seen what's happening with the stock market today?

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=307667278225125

Here is what they said about Fannie and Freddie then. In their own words:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122290574391296381.html?mod=article-outset-box

Edited by Jean too

How about voted out? I would love to see some actually carted off to jail, like Frank and Dodd. 70% of the American people were against this pork-laden bailout bill and they still passed it. We need fiscally conservative people in Congress right now. Our debt is insurmountable and they are still spending like a bunch of drunken sailors. I would not run my household this way, why should our government think it will work for them to spend, spend, spend? We will only get more of this with you know who in the executive office.

The problem is, what is the alternative?

Both of the TX senators voted for the bill. I *LIKE* John Cornyn. He is someone I have happily voted for. But - now, what alternative is there? If I vote for a democrat I'm not going to get smaller, more conservative government. I don't think there are third party senate candidates. Kay Bailey isn't running again. What is the answer? D*mned if you do, d*amned if you don't in this situation. I wish everyone in government actually had to answer for their actions, but they get a paycheck either way, for the rest of their lives. I am the one affected by their decisions, not them. Makes me want to cry I'm so frustrated!

Also, did you see this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,432501,00.html

"Unqualified home buyers were not the only ones who benefitted from Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank’s efforts to deregulate Fannie Mae throughout the 1990s.

So did Frank’s partner, a Fannie Mae executive at the forefront of the agency’s push to relax lending restrictions.

Now that Fannie Mae is at the epicenter of a financial meltdown that threatens the U.S. economy, some are raising new questions about Frank's relationship with Herb Moses, who was Fannie’s assistant director for product initiatives. Moses worked at the government-sponsored enterprise from 1991 to 1998, while Frank was on the House Banking Committee, which had jurisdiction over Fannie.

Both Frank and Moses assured the Wall Street Journal in 1992 that they took pains to avoid any conflicts of interest. Critics, however, remain skeptical.

"It’s absolutely a conflict," said Dan Gainor, vice president of the Business & Media Institute. "He was voting on Fannie Mae at a time when he was involved with a Fannie Mae executive. How is that not germane?"

Can you imagine if another senator was in this situation? Why is Barney Frank untouchable? I don't get it!

Our debt is insurmountable and they are still spending like a bunch of drunken sailors. I would not run my household this way, why should our government think it will work for them to spend, spend, spend?

Exactly. If I were spending like the government is spending, I'd be headed for major disaster. So what do they think they're heading the country toward?

BTW, I have no idea what perp walked means so I looked in Urban Dictionary, which usually has all the slang I don't know but it doesn't have this term. [Edited to add, I found perp walk after all -- I was looking for walked, not walk bad dictionary user -- and it means shown in handcuffs being taken to court]

Edited by Ashleen

Thanks for the definition, I had no idea. :)

BTW, I have no idea what perp walked means so I looked in Urban Dictionary, which usually has all the slang I don't know but it doesn't have this term. [Edited to add, I found perp walk after all -- I was looked for walked, not walk' bad dictionary user -- and it means shown in handcuffs being taken to court]

The problem is, what is the alternative?

Both of the TX senators voted for the bill. I *LIKE* John Cornyn. He is someone I have happily voted for. But - now, what alternative is there? If I vote for a democrat I'm not going to get smaller, more conservative government. I don't think there are third party senate candidates. Kay Bailey isn't running again. What is the answer? D*mned if you do, d*amned if you don't in this situation. I wish everyone in government actually had to answer for their actions, but they get a paycheck either way, for the rest of their lives. I am the one affected by their decisions, not them. Makes me want to cry I'm so frustrated!

I e-mailed both Texas senators and told them I wouldn't be voting for them, because I can't send someone to Congress whom I don't trust. I'll be voting for the Libertarian running for the Senate.

It'll be trickier when Kay Baily Hutchison runs agains Whatshisname for governor. On the one hand, he makes me crazy, and he's been in office long enough, for goodness' sake. But I won't vote for her, either.

::sigh::

Maybe I'll just run for office myself. Hmph.

I e-mailed both Texas senators and told them I wouldn't be voting for them, because I can't send someone to Congress whom I don't trust. I'll be voting for the Libertarian running for the Senate.

It'll be trickier when Kay Baily Hutchison runs agains Whatshisname for governor. On the one hand, he makes me crazy, and he's been in office long enough, for goodness' sake. But I won't vote for her, either.

::sigh::

Maybe I'll just run for office myself. Hmph.

DO IT!

I'll vote for ya!