Menu

Topics for Homeschool Newsletter?

Raifta

I am the editor (and frequent contributor) of our local group's quarterly homeschool newsletter.

Having started a 37.5 hour/week job in Feb and trying to do that and homeschool two kids, I have woefully neglected thinking about the next issue of the newsletter, which is now upon me.  It's always difficult drumming up articles even though people like reading it, so I'm looking for ideas.  Hey, if you want to write an article, that would also be welcome!

Some things we have done in the past:

- had a "Day in the Life of ..." feature where we've featured 4 different homeschooling families who have written pieces about how their days or weeks typically function

- had articles on how to fill out the government paperwork (notification form in Sept, progress reports in Jan/June)

- had articles on how to start a support group

- had an article on a particular ELA curriculum that one HS parent felt very passionately about

I am currently working on an article about different types of HS philosophies (would love some good links to add for resources) and a short article on how one of my child followed her passion to develop a blog and all the things she has learned from this (unassigned, unmonitored) challenge, and how this child-led learning was one of the most valuable things she did this year.  I am also hoping to do an article about combining working outside the home for pay with homeschooling.

So... throw them at me.  What would you like to read about?  What do you hate seeing?  (I personally hate it when cutesy one page posts that I see on FB that are more about parenting than HSing are included in newsletters but that's just me - maybe other people would like that?)

I can think of things like - HSing with many kids, HSing with toddlers and babies underfoot/in arms, HS teens, a HS retrospective from someone who has graduated one or more kids - but I don't have the personal experience to write about those and haven't been able to lean on anyone to do so.

Again - if you want to write something (in a hurry, I need to get this done by mid next week) you can then claim to be a published author if we can use your article and I'll send you a copy of the newsletter as a pdf!

Probably late for this year, but any group graduation ceremonies, proms, end of year picnics... Where are they now success stories of homeschool grads,

Starting over for next year, like if this didn't work, try this instead. Example: detailed schedule always left you feeling behind? Try planning subjects by the week rather than by the hour.

Moving on to high school as a homeschooled, or possibly reasons to consider moving to public school. Or how to plan junior high if public high school is a possibility.

Any year end paperwork, evaluations, etc. for your state? Reminders and links to forms and resources for that.

Comparisons of coops or enrichment classes based on style, costs, parent involvement, levels of classes high school vs preschool playgroup, etc.

Volunteer and service opportunities, group discount tickets for amusement parks, museums, etc.

Any drivers Ed classes or anything that makes driver training or good student certification (for insurance discounts) more difficult as a homeschooler

I'd love to see TONS of things geared toward older homeschoolers, and by older I mean actual high school age 13+, not just 8yos doing calculus, KWIM?

Alternative job training after high school, apprenticeships, etc.

• Like 2

I would try as much as possible to find things specific to your area, since your newsletter might be the only resource for local information, while more general information should be available from many sources.

Where have local students done internships, special programs, etc.?

What are the local schools' policies (k-12 part-time enrollment, community college dual enrollment, what the closest universities want for homeschool admissions)?

Do nearby stores, libraries or museums have special pricing or programs for homeschool educators?

• Like 1

I would try as much as possible to find things specific to your area, since your newsletter might be the only resource for local information, while more general information should be available from many sources.

Where have local students done internships, special programs, etc.?

What are the local schools' policies (k-12 part-time enrollment, community college dual enrollment, what the closest universities want for homeschool admissions)?

Do nearby stores, libraries or museums have special pricing or programs for homeschool educators?

Agreed.  I can get a lot of resources off the internet for homeschooling in general but having something specific to my area is invaluable.

Another topic you might consider at a future date is resources for helping homeschooling kids that struggle academically (are there neuropsychologists in your area that are homeschool friendly and are there tutors that specialize in kids with dyslexia or dyscalculia or whatever and are there any homeschooling groups that offer support specifically to kids with learning challenges or physical issues or maybe are gifted or 2e, etc.).

• Like 1