Menu

Sassafras science

Okay, so I stumbled across this in my desperate search for something to use for my son next year. He will be in 5th grade. It looks awesome!

Anyone use this for their kid's science curriculum? I would love to hear what you thought of it!

My son is a great reader. He loves reading SOTW himself, doing the crafts, activity pages, and tests.

This science looks right up his alley! Reading a "story", notebooking, etc..

Any reviews?

Search it up on the forums. A lot of us were sorely disappointed by it - typos, lack of integrated information, lackluster storyline. I definitely wouldn't use it for a 5th grader. It's pretty young.

A lot of people like Quark Chronicles more, but I don't have experience with it.

• Like 3

If Sassafras looks good to you in theory, check out Quark! I think the author has a 78 pg. sample free for each of the three books already written (google barefoot ragamuffin quark, and you should find it easily.)

Edited by SEGway
  • Like 1

Yep, I have to echo the other posts. We got Sassafras Zoology. The idea is great, but the execution is terrible - typos, grammatical errors, weird and hard to read writing, and a very odd and disconnected storyline. Not just no plot, but actually a kind of disturbing plot, with no resolution of the many conflicts that arose.  Morgan had a lot of fun with the supplemental reading we did and the SciDat logbook was a great way to get her writing mini-reports on animals, but the book was a dud and I won't buy another.  We did pick up Quark and it's definitely more well-written, but I'm not completely happy with it either. The story isn't terribly engaging for dd, and the actual instruction in botany isn't included in the book, you have to use something else for that. They recommend McHenry's Botany, which is pretty advanced for a 5th grader. I don't think mine will want to do it.  And the chapters aren't lined up in the correct order for the Botany curriculum, if you actually want to correlate the lessons with the book you have to rearrange it yourself. The notebooking pages don't really offer much, they aren't as good as the SciDat logbook that Sassafras has.  I haven't decided if we're going to pursue it, or if we're going to do something completely different for science next year. 

ETA:  Hmm, SilverMoon, you made me take another look at Mr Q.  That actually might work.  I stupidly tried to do it with dd in 2nd grade, and it was just too much. But she might really like it now.  Hmmmm . . . . . 

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 1