Menu

ds6 LOVES everything math. How do I not kill this love in 1st grade?

What the title says.  ds6 LOVES everything math.  How do I not kill this love in 1st grade?  Is there a math curriculum/book that requires minimal writing and lots of manipulatives found around the house?  Simple and cheap is what I like.

Danke!

Miquon is cheap and only uses the cusinaire rods as manipulatives, but can be not so "simple" to implement.  I think some kids love it and some don't (I used it for six months or so with my DS7 at the end of K and beginning of 1st grade.  He really liked it for a while, then got frustrated with the discovery element of it).

For lots of fun and less writing, I really like Right Start, which I have used to one extent or another with all three of my older kids.  But it isn't cheap and it works best if you use their manipulatives.

You could use something like Singapore and Math Mammoth and do some of the scribing for your DS.  I do about half the math writing for my DS7, because his writing is pretty slow and we can get through a lot more math problems if I scribe. You can add whatever manipulatives you would like to those programs. 

I think not killing the love of math has a lot to do with not overdoing it (stop while it is still fun each day!),  adding in variety of topics even if your curriculum isn't doing that (We skip around if it seems like DS7 is getting bored, or play games, or I search for practice pages on a topic if DS7 is curious about something).  Doing fun stuff like reading math picture books and playing games.     DS7 really wanted to learn about negative numbers and do math with negative numbers, so we paused on RightStart this week and I bought the little Math Mammoth ebook on integers and we've been doing a few pages of that.  He really wants to learn and is curious, so he can do it no problem, even though 1st graders aren't "supposed" to be learning about negative numbers...LOL!

• Like 2