Menu

French Question: Matelot v. Marin?

The matelot would be subordinate to the marin. Although both are pretty generic terms. The marin would have more general knowledge about the sea than the matelot who is basically just a helping hand.

Now, knowledge is all relative. To a sea expert, I'm a matelot. To my kids, I'm a marin. those terms are definitely not fixed! No exams to pass, and no officially controlled terms.

• Like 1

There's another approach too. Matelot is an actual grade (or collection of grades) in the Navy, usually lower ranks.  Marin is anyone in the Marine (Navy)  French Marine has nothing to do with American Marines. It refers to the whole Navy.   So if you're talking military, the terms have very fixed meanings. If you're talking civilian life, it's very fluid.

• Like 2

There's another approach too. Matelot is an actual grade (or collection of grades) in the Navy, usually lower ranks.  Marin is anyone in the Marine (Navy)  French Marine has nothing to do with American Marines. It refers to the whole Navy.   So if you're talking military, the terms have very fixed meanings. If you're talking civilian life, it's very fluid.

Thanks, Cleo.  How are you doing?

• Like 1

Hey Laura! I don't come here as often as I used to. There was a time when I thought I would never be able to walk away from these boards. Almost like an addiction. Then Facebook and twitter came about.

Oh man... Talk about time wasters. At least here, I used to learn stuff. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...