Menu

How to footnote your own Latin translation?

DD is writing a short paper for WTMA's Expository Writing and wants to include some original material from an ancient writer. She will translate it by herself. I already told her it would be easier to use an expert's translation, but apparently Mrs. Barr's class has given her a certain idea. I just hope her writing teacher won't think it's odd. 

How would such a footnote look like? 

I think it sounds awesome :). The way I've seen the footnotes done is the usual "author, title, page number" followed by ", author's translation". So, for example, "Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 65, author's translation".

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1

The correct answer is to ask the instruction which style guide they are using, and to follow that.  In classical studies, it is generally preferred to use your own translation.  Here is a link to the American Philological Society's guide on this  issue: 

https://classicalstudies.org/sites/default/files/documents/TAPA_Style_Sheet.pdf

I've also see it done with a footnote after the first translation saying something like "all translations in this work are the author's"

• Like 1