Menu

English Lessons Through Literature 1

Those of you that have used ELTL 1, how have you liked it?  Can you please share your experiences using it?  How has your children liked the literature selected?  I had planned on going with Sonlight Core A for 1st grade, but now I am leaning towards using SOTW.  Sonlight has more contemporary literature compared to ELTL.  I am concerned if my children will enjoy the stories as much.

I really want to use ELTL, but my husband has issues with The Wizard of Oz so I've passed on 1 and plan on using Emma Serl's book for second grade after we've finished FLL 1/2.  My son loved what my husband read of The Wizard of OZ, but he stopped after reading more about L. Frank Baum and sophiology.

I've had two kids go through Level 1. Both enjoyed the literature selections. Some I read aloud and some I delegated to librivox/audio. But my kids have been raised on classics.

Wizard of Oz is actually in level 2. So you can decide how you feel about that book next year ;). I think the most problematic selections in 1 will be Kiplings. The Jungle Book can get pretty dark and one of the Just So Stories has some racist aspects. As does Dr Dolittle in Level 3. The author forewarns you and offers suggestions on both.

I haven't used level 1,but we're using 2 , 3, and 5 right now. My kids LOVE the stories. My 3rd grader said Dr. Dolittle is now his 2nd favorite book (behind Junior Classics version of The Time Machine). My 1st grader is doing level 2 (we started like a month before the end of the school year), and he's enjoying The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. He draws pictures next to the copywork each time (we use the workbook, and it has a box provided for that purpose).

We're also using Wayfarers, which gets some more modern read alouds in there. The kids are enjoying both.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

You can use it without using the literature selections. We did because half we'd read last years, and I had my own plans for literature. Still worked fine and my 7 YO and I liked it a lot.

Could you describe how you did your lessons without the literature selections?

• Like 1

You just either use the example sentence for grammar/copywork without having read the book OR you can pick a different sentence to use that portrays the same lesson (easier to do in earlier levels when all you need is an exclamation point or a quote.)

We didn't read all the selections, mainly because my daughter kind of zoned out and wasn't engaged by all of the stories. (Loved Wizard of Oz on level 2, though!) If you want to sub out a book and just do the poetry, copywork, and exercises, it is still a robust curriculum. We've used 3 levels of ELTL and only read about 1/2 of the books.

• Like 1