Menu

Airline points

Scarlett

My boss has offered to gift me some points for a trip we are planning. Well actually he told me to check and see how many it would take. I have never used points before,,,,can someone please walk me through how to figure out how many points it would take?

Depends on the airline, which one does he have points for?

Southwest.  From what I could tell it is like 100,000 points per person to fly round trip from Tulsa to NY.  Does that sound normal?  He told me it was going to take 11K points to go from Tulsa to Vegas.  

We use SouthWest airline points, and it depends on the flight, and which fare you choose. When you book, you'll be given different prices to choose from for each leg of the trip. Choosing the cheaper options (the "got to get away" fare) requires less points, but you'll likely end up in the last boarding group (SouthWest doesn't do assigned seating, you board in groups), so you might not get to sit next to whoever you may be traveling with, you may have to check your carry-on if the overhead bins are full, and you'll very likely be in a middle seat.

My family is flying from Minnesota to North Carolina in a few weeks, and for the four of us it was under 70,000 points, but we also chose an airport two hours away from our destination, instead of in the same city, because it was significantly cheaper (and we're getting a rental car regardless). Had we chosen the closer airport though, it still would have been under 200k points for the four of us.

• Like 1

We use SouthWest airline points, and it depends on the flight, and which fare you choose. When you book, you'll be given different prices to choose from for each leg of the trip. Choosing the cheaper options (the "got to get away" fare) requires less points, but you'll likely end up in the last boarding group (SouthWest doesn't do assigned seating, you board in groups), so you might not get to sit next to whoever you may be traveling with, you may have to check your carry-on if the overhead bins are full, and you'll very likely be in a middle seat.

My family is flying from Minnesota to North Carolina in a few weeks, and for the four of us it was under 70,000 points, but we also chose an airport two hours away from our destination, instead of in the same city, because it was significantly cheaper (and we're getting a rental car regardless). Had we chosen the closer airport though, it still would have been under 200k points for the four of us.

Ok, thank you.  I had no idea what the 'got to get away' option mean.  It is MUCH cheaper on $ and points.