Menu

Help with Verbals

My kids are using Analytical Grammar and we are in the verbals section. They are seem to be a little confused and I feel like they need more practice with it. They can find the infinitives if they have a to in front of them but they are missing all of the bare infinitives. They are also confusing some of the verbals and they are having a hard time figuring out what the gerund or infinitives are functioning as. They understand gerunds are nouns make them parse the nouns as direct object, object of the preposition etc and they are getting confused with that. Ia there another workbook or anything that I can use as additional practice? Should I just get the review book from Analytical Grammar amd go over it later? They score fine on the test because they understand all the other parts of speech but I hate to move on whem they don't undersramd verbals.

Review. Verbals are cool enough to spend many hours playing with them. :001_smile: They are also a little tricky. It doesn't surprise me at all that an 11 and 10 year old would not understand them. You should revisit verbals often. I expect they will come up every year for a while. I bring them up a couple of times a year in grammar, and I expect to spend a lot more time with them in composition this year.

• Like 1

My kids have done Season 2 in AG when they're 12 and 13 and it's still difficult for them sometimes. I'd take a break from grammar - possibly use the 1st section of the Reinforcement and Review book that reviews Season 1 to keep their skills sharp - and come back to Season 2 in a few months and see if it's ready to stick then.

I guess we will just take a break for a bit. They seem to be beyond season 1 but not quite ready for verbals. They understand adjectival and adverbial clauses and I think they are getting the ideas behind verbals but it's throwing them off when they go to parse them and the diagrams just intensify so much on season 2.