Menu

10th grade plans...good? Advice?

English:

American Literature (BJU or Abeka or ??? suggestions.  I prefer real literature as opposed to textbook, but I'll do what we need to do to get it done easily.  Any Amer. Lit. exist that use real books?  I'm just not sure on this one yet.  Help?)

Bravewriter courses (2- KWI and EE)

grammar review (Fix It or Abeka or Big Book of Grammar or ??? suggestions here also)

SAT prep/Khan Academy for vocab and other prep help

Math:

Geometry- local co-op

Science:

Biology- local co-cop

History:

self paced Omnibus 1 Primary and Secondary

American History (either my own plan using various resources and Hillsdale free courses or complete course through BJU or Abeka or ??? suggestions here also)

Foreign Lang.:

Spanish 2 (continue with BJU)

Worldview/Bible: 

Starting Points (continue, started it last semester)

Electives: 

P.E. (at home and PT training quarterly with his Alert Cadet group)

AO art plan (for appreciation, viewing, talking about it, maybe draw own version of famous pieces?)

Barry Stebbing art (have on shelf, never used?)

Study Skills/Career planning (have never done this)

Logic (Art of Argument dvd's)

Driver's Ed

SAT prep/practice with Khan Academy and Question of the Day

• Like 1

If student is doing self-paced Omnibus primary and secondary, won't that already include a history, literature, and Bible or theology credit?  It looks like you're doubling up in those subjects, which would be a big time commitment.  It also looks like a lot of electives to me, but maybe you're taking more than a year to complete them?

• Like 3

If student is doing self-paced Omnibus primary and secondary, won't that already include a history, literature, and Bible or theology credit?  It looks like you're doubling up in those subjects, which would be a big time commitment.  It also looks like a lot of electives to me, but maybe you're taking more than a year to complete them?

Thanks for your response.  Yes, you're right, it will.  I include SP as his bible/worldview and it, too, gives 3 credits.  Plus, we've barely gotten through week 6 of it and I want to use it.  :)  I just realized, as I'm sitting here, that SP has American History in it, so maybe that portion of SP could be used for American History along with some literature selections?

The electives look heavy, but my thinking was that individually they are either an ongoing activity (like PE) or can be done in a matter of weeks (study skills, career planning) and then the others would take longer like art, logic and driver's ed.  Some may not be actual electives, but just extra activities that I could deem educational for transcript purposes, maybe.  Does that make sense?  :)

I think you have too much, also, unless you have a highly motivated and quick working student. Even then, I wouldn't require two history programs and two plus lit programs on top of a full high school load. Just b/c a child can do something doesn't mean they should.

Omnibus's strength is lit and there is a lot of it. I wouldn't do any other lit --unless there were books in SP that rounded out the hours.

I do a week of study skills at the beginning of the year and will do career planning in the summer.

My student is very bright but gets very overwhelmed by bits and pieces-- so logic would throw him over the edge while running all those other subjects. I'd do a semester if art and one of logic or art on Mon, TW snd logic ThF--and then flip half way through .

Just some things to think about.

• Like 3