Menu

Remedial Pre-Algebra

As DD and I are trying to work through Algebra 1, I am noticing that some of the foundations, that I would expect to be learned in Pre-Algebra, are not there.

During the year she should have "done" pre-algebra, I had difficult pregnancy and then had a newborn. So she did not get the attention she should have,  :(

We have agreed that we need to go back and learn these concepts before moving on with Algebra 1.

Do you wonderful ladies have any suggestions for a basic program that can be move through quickly as we would like to do this over the summer and get back to Algebra 1 in the fall. That is the ideal anyway but we will take it how it goes.

TIA

You are absolutely doing the right thing by going back and making sure her pre-algebra skills are solid before continuing.  I would only caution that you should take whatever amount of time is needed, rather than feeling like you need to do it quickly. 

You have lots of choices.  Lial's Basic College Math can be picked up very inexpensively for an older edition and is a very solid program.  You can have your DD test through it and only study the problematic lessons.

If you think a hands-on, actually see what is going on, master each concept before going on, program would suit your daughter, I'm a big fan of Math U See. It would be quite a bit pricier, however, even picked up used.

The name escapes me, but there is a set of thin workbooks that are specifically made for going back and doing a quick review of math concepts already studied.  I have no experience with these but perhaps other board members could chime in.

You could also find lots of online help - Khan Academy, etc.

• Like 1

You are absolutely doing the right thing by going back and making sure her pre-algebra skills are solid before continuing. I would only caution that you should take whatever amount of time is needed, rather than feeling like you need to do it quickly.

You have lots of choices. Lial's Basic College Math can be picked up very inexpensively for an older edition and is a very solid program. You can have your DD test through it and only study the problematic lessons.

If you think a hands-on, actually see what is going on, master each concept before going on, program would suit your daughter, I'm a big fan of Math U See. It would be quite a bit pricier, however, even picked up used.

The name escapes me, but there is a set of thin workbooks that are specifically made for going back and doing a quick review of math concepts already studied. I have no experience with these but perhaps other board members could chime in.

The thin workbooks are Key to.....http://www.amazon.com/Key-Algebra-Books-thru-10/dp/155953088X. These are what I was getting ready to post. Really good.

• Like 1

You are absolutely doing the right thing by going back and making sure her pre-algebra skills are solid before continuing.  I would only caution that you should take whatever amount of time is needed, rather than feeling like you need to do it quickly. 

You have lots of choices.  Lial's Basic College Math can be picked up very inexpensively for an older edition and is a very solid program.  You can have your DD test through it and only study the problematic lessons.

The name escapes me, but there is a set of thin workbooks that are specifically made for going back and doing a quick review of math concepts already studied.  I have no experience with these but perhaps other board members could chime in.

The thin workbooks are Key to.....http://www.amazon.com/Key-Algebra-Books-thru-10/dp/155953088X. These are what I was getting ready to post. Really good.

Thank You so much ladies. I was looking at the Key to...... series and was not sure about it but now I will get it.