Menu

From Rod&Staff math 7 to Algebra?

ALB

Depends on the kid, and on the Algebra you want to jump into.

One of mine did R&S 7 last year and is doing BJU Pre-A this year.  R&S prepared him well. (I wanted to keep him in R&S 8, but it was of extreme, life-changing importance to him that he do a "Pre-A" course.  It HAD to say Pre-A" on the cover...)

Another boy did R&S 6 last year and is doing Dolciani Pre-A (Accelerated Course) this year.  R&S prepared him well.

I really like R&S math--bit by bit, it lays a great foundation.  If you have a child who is more naturally mathy, you could skip 8 (or even 7..), and jump right into a different Pre-A or Algebra. If I had an 8th grader who was really struggling with fluency in basic operations, I would continue with R&S 8.  It does include some Pre-A type work in the final chapters.

There have been other posters whose children did R&S through 8 and then into Algebra--Colleen in NS, and Beth in Central TX come to mind...

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Thanks for the replies.  No, not particularly mathy in this case.  She is very comfortable with Rod & Staff and I think the slow, incremental teaching of new material is just what she needs.  She is half a year ahead, so we might be able to squeeze in 8 before officially beginning Algebra in 8th grade.

Thanks for the replies.  No, not particularly mathy in this case.  She is very comfortable with Rod & Staff and I think the slow, incremental teaching of new material is just what she needs.  She is half a year ahead, so we might be able to squeeze in 8 before officially beginning Algebra in 8th grade.

Then I would take a look at Math-U-See. Give her the placement test first, though, and wherever it says to place her, *believe* it. ;)  When I gave my dd the placement test for MUS and found her to be borderline between Pre-Alg and whatever's before that, I went ahead and put her in Pre-Alg.  But then I found that I had to go back and use the R&S 7th grade book to fill in some gaps as we attempted to move through Pre-Alg... we sort of toggled back and forth for a while.  Eventually she could move on and complete Pre-Alg, and it worked out fine.  I'm just saying that the MUS placement test for MUS curriculum is pretty accurate.