Menu

flower garden question

ProudGrandma

I need to weigh out the pros and cons of using rock or wooden mulch in flower gardens.  If there is a 3rd option, please share.  We live in the midwest ...zone 5 (if that matters at all).

Oh, I have one HUGE flower garden that is a total mess right now...and several small flower garden spaces.  

After I figure this out, I will probably be back with more questions for landscaping ideas.....thanks.

I live in CT, where rocks propagate underground and are heaved up every winter, leaving me to shovel them out from amidst the roots of my perennials every.single.spring.  Even in beds that I had double-dug 3' deep when we moved here 20 years ago, when I now jump on a shovel to plant a shrub, CLINK.

I cannot imagine voluntarily choosing to put ROCKS into soil meant to nurture plants!

But, maybe that's my hostile environment speaking, lol.  Here are some virtues of wood mulch: if you use cedar, it has (modest) insect suppression benefits and smells lovely after rainfall; if you use shredded anything, it decomposes quickly and helps with soil amendment (which is what I do, since in addition to being filled with rocks, my soil is also lousy in terms of both aeration AND nutrients); if you use solid it lasts longer; and it's easy-peasy to just throw on, any able-bodied teenager can do it for you.

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Like 2

Mulch all the way!

Rock will eventually fill up with weeds and in my opinion, it's harder to get them out.

Mulch is good for the soil, makes whatever weeds appear easier to pull out, and looks pretty. Do not get the red colored mulch...it looks fake and nasty. Just MY humble opinion, of course. :lol:

• Like 1

I prefer mulch because as it breaks down, it nourishes the soul. I also find it easier to add compost to mulched areas than over rock. I have both, but the rock is because of a previous owner.

Oh, right, this is another virtue of wood mulch: it's very easy to spread compost or manure right on top of the half-decomposed old, sort of rake it all in together, then toss a new layer on top.  I don't know how you would be able to add compost or manure if a layer of rocks were there... I would think you'd have to rake all the rocks off first?  Shoot me in the head.

(ETA PS: Can I just say, how much I enjoyed your typo as it breaks down, it nourishes the soul.  Not soil, soul.  Cuz that is, in fact, precisely how gardening affects mine.  Soul, I mean.  My soil, now she's a problem...)

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Like 2

Oh, right, this is another virtue of wood mulch: it's very easy to spread compost or manure right on top of the half-decomposed old, sort of rake it all in together, then toss a new layer on top. I don't know how you would be able to add compost or manure if a layer of rocks were there... I would think you'd have to rake all the rocks off first? Shoot me in the head.

(ETA PS: Can I just say, how much I enjoyed your typo as it breaks down, it nourishes the soul. Not soil, soul. Cuz that is, in fact, precisely how gardening affects mine. Soul, I mean. My soil, now she's a problem...)

LOL. Although, playing with my compost is weirdly nourishing for my soul as well as my soil! :)

• Like 1