Menu

What is the best curriculum to use for English/Writing/Lit/Grammar if online or outside classes is not an easy option?

I really want DS15 to take English 1 through The Potter's School, but it's just going to be too difficult with our present internet capabilities (can see it, but no audio) and I have to face it.  I've been denying it and saying we will figure it out and make it happen because he really needs to take that TPS course (he needs a thorough, foundational course to help him move forward better), but in reality it's just not the best decision for our schedule and life.  We would likely have to be out somewhere (Starbuck's or my mothers because the closest library was worse than the house for some reason, no audio or visual) to take it because it doesn't work at home.  I can think that it would be fine, but when it starts I know it will be too much for us and I have 3 other dc to consider, too.  So.... what is a great course or curriculum that would be rigorous (yet give good solid review of grammar, writing process, etc.) or at least have high standards and be good college prep and also be independent yet not frustrating.  Would BJU distance learning be a good choice?  IEW?  Others???  I wish live online classes would be easier for us, but I have to face reality.  I'll be honest and say that the idea of not doing the class makes me nervous because I know it will get done and be well done so part of me wants to make it work no matter what, but...(see above reasons)  :(   Sigh. 

Hmmm… Hard to think of an all-in-one program...

Does your student really NEED grammar at this point? Usually by high school, a student is putting the grammar into practice in the writing, with sound sentence structure, and proofing for grammar usage, mechanics, etc.

If you need a thorough foundational program for writing, I'd spend that money you planned on for TPS class and outsource and go with a good local tutor -- someone who can specifically guide your student and do the grading/commenting.  Students almost ALWAYS write better/try harder for someone other than mom, and grading/commenting on writing with your own student so often is much harder for the student to accept. A tutor who specializes in writing will also be knowledgeable to help pinpoint weak areas of your student and help your student work through those areas.

Are you comfortable with leading the literature? Or do you also prefer to outsource that? Is there a local co-op class or local public/private/charter high school class your student could join for the Literature portion of the English credit, or for all of the English credit?

How much hand-holding do you want as the parent for:

- writing instruction

- grading/commenting on/mentoring the writing

- leading literature discussion

Bob Jones distance would be fine for your English credit. It is a fair amount of parent work, from what others have said. The BJ for grade 9 is Foundations in Literature, which introduces the student to literary analysis with excerpts (not full works) from a wide variety of types of works and covers conflict, character, theme, point of view, structure, tone, etc. No grammar, and I'm also not seeing anything in the description that suggests it has an Writing instruction or grading rubrics, etc.

If you are looking to focus on the writing of the literary analysis essay and also want some beginning Literature analysis, Windows to the World could be a good choice. It is a 1-semester course (0.5 credit English) focusing on 6 short stories. You can add the Jill Pike syllabus from IEW, which also incorporates Teaching the Classics and 3 longer works, to make it a full year program. That would also require a bit more parent time, but it holds your hand pretty well. No grammar included.

Just a few rambling thoughts to start the ball rolling… ;) 

• Like 1

I'd consider Brave Writer for writing. It sounds like you have good enough internet for this. (You have to be able to access the internet daily, but nothing streaming or audio).

There are lots of books/curriculums recommended for writing, but I'd consider outsourcing some of it.

Literature - You can pick your own literature and simply discuss.

Windows to the World is a good option.

You could do Teaching the Classics and maybe 1-2 classes on dvd.

Grammar - at this point, I like focused review on areas that need strengthening.

• Like 3

Hmmm… Hard to think of an all-in-one program...

Does your student really NEED grammar at this point? Usually by high school, a student is putting the grammar into practice in the writing, with sound sentence structure, and proofing for grammar usage, mechanics, etc.

If you need a thorough foundational program for writing, I'd spend that money you planned on for TPS class and outsource and go with a good local tutor -- someone who can specifically guide your student and do the grading/commenting. Students almost ALWAYS write better/try harder for someone other than mom, and grading/commenting on writing with your own student so often is much harder for the student to accept. A tutor who specializes in writing will also be knowledgeable to help pinpoint weak areas of your student and help your student work through those areas.

Are you comfortable with leading the literature? Or do you also prefer to outsource that? Is there a local co-op class or local public/private/charter high school class your student could join for the Literature portion of the English credit, or for all of the English credit?

How much hand-holding do you want as the parent for:

- writing instruction

- grading/commenting on/mentoring the writing

- leading literature discussion

Bob Jones distance would be fine for your English credit. It is a fair amount of parent work, from what others have said. The BJ for grade 9 is Foundations in Literature, which introduces the student to literary analysis with excerpts (not full works) from a wide variety of types of works and covers conflict, character, theme, point of view, structure, tone, etc. No grammar, and I'm also not seeing anything in the description that suggests it has an Writing instruction or grading rubrics, etc.

If you are looking to focus on the writing of the literary analysis essay and also want some beginning Literature analysis, Windows to the World could be a good choice. It is a 1-semester course (0.5 credit English) focusing on 6 short stories. You can add the Jill Pike syllabus from IEW, which also incorporates Teaching the Classics and 3 longer works, to make it a full year program. That would also require a bit more parent time, but it holds your hand pretty well. No grammar included.

Just a few rambling thoughts to start the ball rolling… ;)

Thank you! Your advice is always appreciated!

I'd consider Brave Writer for writing. It sounds like you have good enough internet for this. (You have to be able to access the internet daily, but nothing streaming or audio).

There are lots of books/curriculums recommended for writing, but I'd consider outsourcing some of it.

Grammar - at this point, I like focused review on areas that need strengthening.

Thank you! Very helpful as well. I've heard about BW.

Would you consider an asynchronous class? I highly recommend Blue Tent Online for thorough, rigorous English classes.

http://teacherweb.com/USA/BlueTent/Thompson/apt19.aspx

What is asynchronous?  Pardon my ignorance.  Also, I've read over the course info and it sounds great, but I'm wondering how they actually "instruct" if there isn't video or recorded teaching?  Does he read everything?  How is there interaction with the teacher?  Email?  Skype?  Does he just do this independently and then ask questions when needed?  She grades and sends back the assignments?  Sorry, I'm new to all of this, so a little hand holding is needed I guess.  :-/  Thank you. 

What is asynchronous? Pardon my ignorance. Also, I've read over the course info and it sounds great, but I'm wondering how they actually "instruct" if there isn't video or recorded teaching? Does he read everything? How is there interaction with the teacher? Email? Skype? Does he just do this independently and then ask questions when needed? She grades and sends back the assignments? Sorry, I'm new to all of this, so a little hand holding is needed I guess. :-/ Thank you.

All Blue Tent English classes are set up basically the same way.

Each week runs from Monday to Sunday. Most assignments are due on Fridays or Sundays.

On Monday the teacher posts the weekly message, explaining the week, describing the assignments, whatever. During the week, the students and the teacher interact on the class message board. At times there may be (always optional) text-based chats to discuss reading or study for an upcoming test.

Assignments vary with the week and with the class------reading a portion of a book, reading short stories or poems, reading background articles about a topic or an author, watching short videos about authors, doing specific vocabulary or grammar exercises (for some classes), writing short pieces or working on a longer paper. The classes have a high level of interaction on the message board. The assignments will almost all have a message board component---------answering the teacher's questions directly, posing your own questions, replying to other students' questions or comments. This interaction replicates classroom discussion without everyone having to be present at the same time (dd has has classmates from all over the world!).

The teacher interacts both through the message board and through private messages to the students. Grading is prompt and always accompanied by comments.

I hope that helped a bit. I am tired and feel kind of incoherent lol

• Like 3

All Blue Tent English classes are set up basically the same way.

Each week runs from Monday to Sunday. Most assignments are due on Fridays or Sundays.

On Monday the teacher posts the weekly message, explaining the week, describing the assignments, whatever. During the week, the students and the teacher interact on the class message board. At times there may be (always optional) text-based chats to discuss reading or study for an upcoming test.

Assignments vary with the week and with the class------reading a portion of a book, reading short stories or poems, reading background articles about a topic or an author, watching short videos about authors, doing specific vocabulary or grammar exercises (for some classes), writing short pieces or working on a longer paper. The classes have a high level of interaction on the message board. The assignments will almost all have a message board component---------answering the teacher's questions directly, posing your own questions, replying to other students' questions or comments. This interaction replicates classroom discussion without everyone having to be present at the same time (dd has has classmates from all over the world!).

The teacher interacts both through the message board and through private messages to the students. Grading is prompt and always accompanied by comments.

I hope that helped a bit. I am tired and feel kind of incoherent lol

Thank you.  Yes, it was helpful.  Hope you get some rest.  :)

What BW classes would you suggest?  Kidswrite Intermediate and then Expository Essay?  Should we do 2 or 3 courses?

What BW classes would you suggest?  Kidswrite Intermediate and then Expository Essay?  Should we do 2 or 3 courses?

Kidswrite Intermediate is a great course for exploring writing, making connections and developing your voice in a low key class. My boys found it very helpful. It could be skipped if you want to jump straight to Expository Essay.

The Expository Essay class is a great class to build essay writing skills. There are students of any ability and the teachers are great at working with all of them.

Each BW class is 1/4 English credit with a grade. Therefore if you wanted to do two Brave Writer classes and add some literature you could call it an English credit. I tend to do a couple of BW classes, some directed grammar teaching, a "full" literature load with literary analysis - mostly discussion, and call it English.

• Like 1

Kidswrite Intermediate is a great course for exploring writing, making connections and developing your voice in a low key class. My boys found it very helpful. It could be skipped if you want to jump straight to Expository Essay.

The Expository Essay class is a great class to build essay writing skills. There are students of any ability and the teachers are great at working with all of them.

Each BW class is 1/4 English credit with a grade. Therefore if you wanted to do two Brave Writer classes and add some literature you could call it an English credit. I tend to do a couple of BW classes, some directed grammar teaching, a "full" literature load with literary analysis - mostly discussion, and call it English.

Does the Intermediate review writing process, intro to writing type things like thesis statement, outlining, etc.?  Does it go over the basic types of written papers?  Or, is it more just writing and getting good at style more than structure?  I'm not finding that specific information on the site.

Kidswrite Intermediate does a lot of word play/word association exercises. It teaches you to examine a topic from all sorts of viewpoints. it teaches some research skills as well as how to paraphrase. It teaches how to keep digging to get to the truth of what you say. When you finish the class, you don't have any polished papers to show for your work, just a bunch of seemingly random assignments. However, the skills learned in this class were very good and really helped my kids (both my non-writer and my natural writer) improve their writing. I will have my daughter who loves to write take this class when she is a little older as it will push her in new ways as well.

The Expository Essay class works on specifics such as thesis statements as well as the entire essay process.

Wanted to add, if you think you can teach it yourself and give good feedback, you can use Brave Writer's Help for High School.. It is essentially a pdf of all the instructions for both Kidswrite Intermediate and Expository Essay. The instructions are very good and written to the student. It has examples as well. I bought this thinking I could use it to teach, but found that my kids didn't respond to even my simplest of critiques. I then enrolled my oldest in Kidswrite Intermediate and EE and the feedback was priceless. Again, I thought I might be able to teach it myself with my second son, but again turned around and enrolled him in a class.

I (and others) find the feedback of all the BW classes to be excellent. It is both encouraging as well as very constructive. You can also see the feedback given to all the students and I'm impressed with the level of feedback given no matter the level of writing. They take the writer from where they are and move them along toward better, while unmistakably keeping the student's writing voice as their own.

What about Essentials in Writing & Essentials in Literature (not Excellence in Writing/Lit; those are different). The courses have instruction on DVD and a workbook that contains exercises, graphic organizers, and grading rubrics. EIW 9 is available now, EIL 9 is available in August. Oh wow, I see that they now offer a scoring service! That would help you out a lot as your son would still be accountable to someone else.

http://essentialsinwriting.com/level-9/

http://essentialsinwriting.com/essentials-in-literature/

"We are very excited to be releasing a new product that will go very well with our current product line, Essentials in Writing. Essentials in Literature is a video based literary analysis program.

Essentials in Literature is a literary analysis curriculum that features a student textbook/workbook combination with video instruction from teacher, Matthew Stephens presented on DVD over four units: fiction, nonfiction, novel, figurative language/poetry.

Literary analysis occurs across the curriculum by exploring short stories in the fiction unit. Short works of nonfiction such as excerpts from biographies and autobiographies as well as informative articles, propaganda techniques, and narrative nonfiction are analyzed in the nonfiction unit. Figurative language and poetry are explored in the final unit following a six week novel study.

Using primarily short works to analyze poetry and prose allows students to focus on literary elements and active reading skills individually in short, easy lessons and activities; however, one long literary work is the subject of literary analysis within each level as well in order to insure students are able to apply the same skills to longer works. Video lessons taught by teacher, Matthew Stephens are precise, to the point, and model literary analysis.

Each literary piece is explored through multiple before, while, and after you read activities over a series of five days. Story Assessments (Independent Practice) provide comprehension and application practice through a variety of assessment techniques included but not limited to multiple choice, matching, long answer, tabled literary analysis application, and written response.

Summative Assessments are the culminating activity for each individual unit with multiple choice, matching, short answer/fill in the blank, true/false, tabled literary analysis application, and written response assessment techniques.

Students are taught to analyze literature not only for its literary value but also as a way to connect with authors, characters, events, and places. Students will be challenged to become better readers, writers, and critical thinkers as they prepare for college and careers."